Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Office XP - Upgrade? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpoore

Technical User
Jan 28, 2002
US
Uprade to Offfice xp from office 97? Is it worth the upgrade?
I have heard there is not much difference between 2000 and xp.
Anyone, using Office xp?
Thanks for input,
Karen

Worth it? Depends what you want to do. Anything you *haven't* been able to do and want to?

Differences:

2000 does allow custom colors of fonts and shapes, where you are limited in 97. I like that.

Saving to HTML? I don't think it's gotten any better.

Unless you're doing some snazzy integrating, stick with 97.

That's my humble opinion....

XP has a lot of newer features not in 2000 or 97.

XP allows voice recognition both in speak to type, and speak to use menus/commands.

XP has more organizational charts, etc.

The window becomes divided into panes. Down the right hand side of the window is a new "task" pane, which changes based on current task. For example the File/New window is displayed there, not in a dialog box. The clipboard also shows it contents there.

When you draw new objects using the drawing tool bar a "drawing canvas" is created to help keep them together, etc.

Excel XP has cool new items in the AutoSum button, it can now do all of the things that Autocalculate could do.

PowerPoint XP will allow more than one design template per presentation (used to have to link presentations in prior versions).

And more that I can't think of now. . .

Most of the new features in XP are "Bells & Whistles". Not anything that most people "HAVE TO HAVE".

Lots of them are fun new things to play with.

I would agree with DreamBoat - If there is something specific that you haven't been able to do, that you know can be done in 2000 or XP, then yes go for it. If not, I am one of those people who likes to stay in my comfort zone.
I currently have all three versions at different locations I use.

Good Luck,
AngO

Was it just a rumor that I heard, saying that Microsoft was going to put a 3 year limit on support of any versions prior to 2000? I can see it happening soon, to force users to upgrade.

I was thinking about your question after I got up this morning. Who knows why?!!

But I realized I short-changed you and decided to come back and tell you everything I could think of--there are so many differences. Now I see that Ang0 has done a fine job!

So I give Ang0 a star.

LOL

One of the things I HATE about XP is that the default mail merge source file is an Access database--do you believe it? We're all gonna be DBAs...

Thanks you guys (-:
Well, I have Office 97 at home and Office 2000 at work (of which I just had installed) - work for the government you know.
I was thinking I should get xp for home to stay ahead of the GAME.
Right now, I am doing a lot of Crystal Report 8.5 at work and have not looked at Office 2000 a whole lot.
Have a great week,
Karen

We currently have Office 97 Pro and we were debating whether to upgrade to Office XP Pro. The answer is YES.

Microsoft is doing away with their Office upgrades as of July 31, 2001. After that date you will no longer be able or qualify for an upgrade. The only thing you can do is buy the full versions and licensing.

So my recommendation would be to get the upgrade while you still can. That way once your in the new program you will qualify for 2 years for any upgrades or you can update your license if no new versions / upgrades are available by then.

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back