Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Office Picture Manager File Associations

Status
Not open for further replies.

sm2k

IS-IT--Management
Aug 2, 2006
US
Getting ready to roll out Office 2003. Having a problem with MS Office Picture Manager, however.....

I cannot set Picture Manager as an associated program for file types (JPG, GIF, etc) if the user is not a power user or administrator. If I temporarily escalate the user's status to local administrator and change the file associations manually or via Picture Manager (Tools->File Types), the associations revert back after the user logs back in as a regular user.

It's pretty common to have to temporarily bump a user up to change file assocations, in fact I do it frequently and it works as one would expect. In this case, however, it seems like Microsoft is not following its own best practices for handling file associations.

Is there a workaround or fix for this issue? Picture Manager would work just fine for my users as a replacement for Photo Editor, but I must be able to set it as the default application for image file types.

Hi sm2k,

1) If the user login thru the network domain,u may want to login as domain administrator and set the file association. Login back using the userid and test open the image file.

2) If (1) doesn't work, go to windows explorer (still in administrator mode) -> tools -> folder option -> files types -> locate file ext (eg jgp) -> check if it is associated to any picture editor. If it is showing picture manager, then you delete the association. Next, still in windows explorer, right click on any jpg image -> choose open with -> click on picture manager -> click on "always use selected program ..." -> click ok -> then try opening the jpg image file.

If still problem, do let us know.

Mok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back