Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Office activations

Status
Not open for further replies.

yohann

Technical User
May 12, 2002
US
Hello all,
A pal needs to install Microsoft Office Small Business on two of his new computers.

I know that you may install and activate the same on your desktop and laptop, but I have heard talk that you are actually permitted to install and activate office on ANY two computers.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Also looking for recommendation on where to purchase same for the best price.

Thanks to any who may reply

Yohann

John Farrow
Cloudcroft, New Mexico

A bit of info., if you get the OEM version of Office 2003, it no longer has the part about a workstation and a portable device in the eula.txt [End User License Agreement] as Office 2002/XP and earlier did, can be installed only on the computer it came with. The Retail and Upgrade versions are still the same.

If you have a qualifying student or Educator in the household, you can put the Academic version on 3 computers. The Academic version is similar to the Standard version, may not have all you need. It is also not upgradeable to the next version.

As an afterthought to this....

If the two desktops were linked together in a LAN, are you still required to purchase two copies?

Additionally, would it be more economical to purchase and install say office 97 and the purchase the upgrade version? Or does the 97 office even qualify as upgrade to say office small business 2003.

Not try to cheat the system, only want to pay the less cost option?

Thanks again

John Farrow
Cloudcroft, New Mexico

It is very very simple actually.
2 computers, 2 licenses.
An upgrade will not really save you any money, but instead make it more difficult to install (and reinstall later).
If you have to buy new, buy the full!

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back