Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Office Access was unable to export the data

Status
Not open for further replies.

jancheta

Programmer
Aug 30, 2002
US
Hello. I'm trying to export my table to XML but get the message "Microsoft Office Access was unable to export the data" - Version 2003 / SP2

This is only happening on my laptop PC but I don't have this problem on my desktop.

Any suggestions are welcomed? Thanks.

Here's what i've tried:
Action 1:
1. Created a new database
2. Create a new Table (Table1)
3. Added 2 Fields: myfield1 (text) and myfield2 (text)
4. put in sample data
5. click on File -> Export; File name = Table1, Save As type = XML (*.xml)
6. Data (XML) is checked
7. click on Export and error appears

Action 2:
Created a module with the following code and ran it
Sub testXML()
Application.ExportXML _
ObjectType:=acExportTable, _
DataSource:="Table1", _
DataTarget:="Table1.xml"
End Sub
Result:
Run-time error '31532'
Microsoft Office Access was unable to export the data

Action 3:
Ran detect and repair

Action 4:
Removed Access 2003, re-installed it, ran detect and repair

Action 5:
Searched on the net, saw some people encounter this problem, but no solution found.
Action 5:
Tools -> Database Utilities -> Convert Database To Access 2000 File Format. Opened new database, tried to export, but same error

jancheta,
Just a guess, there is some other DLL or library that is missing/corrupt on your machine. I believe that the XML functionality is shared across the entire Office suite.

One way to test would be to try saving an Excel worksheet as XML and see if you get the same error. If you do it may provide more keywords to help locate an answer.

CMP

Hi CMP,

Thanks for your suggestion. I think you're right, there must be some .dll that is corrupt that the Office Install/Removal/Repair will not touch.

Action 6:
I created a XML map and applied to my workbook in excel and was able to create .XML data.

Action 7:
I also tried but got the same error:
1. Rename "Microsoft Office" in Program Files to "Microsoft Office ORIG"
2. copied the Microsoft Office directory from a PC that can export .XML from Access
3. Run MSAccess.exe from the Microsoft Office directory

Any ideas of other directories/files to copy over or overwrite?

I got it to work!!!!! If comes across this thread, I hope it this will work for you as well...

1. Go to
2. Download Office 2003 Add-in: Office Web Components

3. Select the Reinstall option

My best guess is that this download (17 MB+) overwrote the bad dll's, registry entry, or whatever which the MSO reinstall and detect and repair wouldn't

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back