Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

microsoft mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delton

MIS
Aug 4, 1999
US
Can anyone point me to some docs, on how to retreive mail using Linux, from a microsoft mail post office?

Ummmmm..... Switch e-mail carriers??? (sorry; can't be of much help there). <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

This is on our internal network. Microsoft mail post office on a nt server, and Outlook on the 95/98 clients. I have been told it can be done. I have added a Linux box and would like to access the post office mail with this machine. And hopefully add more Linux machines to the network.

OK, ok, what brand-version of Linux are you using; we'll start from there, and hopefully get you into that PO :)<br>
<br>
also; how many options do you have on the mail-server end? Can you re-configure the Post Office slightly in order to make it more co-operative? <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

I am using Mandrake 6.1, and I can re-configure the post office however I need to.

hmmm....do you have telnet priveleges on the mail server?<br>
(I think my best suggestion would be to switch your e-mail handling to the Linux box & the accessing to the NT box; but I think we might be able to figure out another way.....Outlook is compat. with M$ POs as well as Linux mailservers; but M$PO isn't quite as co-operative) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

I do have telnet privelegs on the mail server, and in the near future will probably start working towards switching mail handling to the Linux box.

Hmmm... I'd say just go straight for the switch to mail server on Linux. I've been through *lots* of pain and suffering in the past trying to get anything other the M$ Exchange clients talking to a M$ PostOffice.<br>
<br>
Set your Linux box up to serve mail, and set your clients up to talk to it using real email protocols - SMTP and POP3 ;^)

Hmmm.... First; I <b>DO</b> agree with Andy; but you <i>might</i> be able to retrieve e-mail from the M$PO through TelNet if you are daring enough to attempt it; short of that, I haven't come up with any ideas that'll hold too much water yet. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Thanks for the input, I am gonna take your advice. I have had lots of issues in the past with this post office. I might as well start setting one up on the Linux box. Eventually the server os will probably be replaced with Linux anyhow...(at least I hope).

Good luck; let us know when you start biting your nails & screaming 'cuz your mail is being delivered soooooo much faster than you're used to ;) ('least that was my first reaction when I started using Caldera 2.2 for a few of my desktop image designing tasks instead of ole WindoZe 95. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back