Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft is not allowing explorer 10 to be installed on win 7 machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutech

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2001
US
Microsoft has done away with the online update version of internet explorer 10 and has also removed the offline installer from their website.

I have both copies of their offline installs and they can still be found on a few download sites.

If you try to install though they will error out.

Anyone have a solution around this.

I have software that will not run on anything higher than Explorer 10 and is not officially supported on 10 only 9.

I have a few machines that are V 9 yet because of the official support. we troubleshot with the company with these machines because they will refuse any support if not explorer 9.

The thing is now I have other programs that have updated and need 10+ so I am comfortable leaving only one machine at 9 that will just sit in a corner out of production.

The thing is I might be able to tweek 11 and settings to get the program to work but that is down the road.
Anyone have a way to get the Explorer 10 offline installer to still work?

Has any of the machines had explorer 10 on them before? I have used "Programs and Features" in the control panel to uninstall the latest version of IE and all it did was revert to the previous version. You have to make sure that you do not agree to any window updates for IE because it will try to reinstall the current version but at least you can move back to 10 in that case. To get to the section where you can uninstall IE click the "Turn windows features on or off" and unclick the IE 11 option

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Very soon, the only app you will be able to open on Windows 7 and Windows 8 will be the "upgrade to Windows 10" app.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Lots of Vista-related topics are gone from MSDN, and Windows 7 topics are now dropping away as well.

I suspect the fast growth of Windows 10 has encouraged them. Win7 market share is now less than twice that of Win10 and the adoption curve has been pretty steady. This runs counter to every opinion I've read, but multiple sources of stats show the same trends. Fan boy noise vs. reality strikes again.

"Enthusiasts" had the option to lead, follow, or get out of they way. They chose none of the above and the market has walked right over them instead. Even the US Army is making a big push to 10 now, and the Navy plans to follow within 6 months.

Windows 7 may be remembered as the fastest market share losing version in Windows history, falling to 10% or so by January 2017. This is something I would never have imagined happening.

Microsoft offline installers can still be found at Microsoft (just not easily ...)

32bit: 64bit:
Don't know if these versions are nerfed or not (the offline installers have never been able to revert from 11 to 10, though, as far as I am aware)

EDIT: The links exist, but the downloads seem to be blocked. <sigh>

Go into programs and features and uninstall Internet Explorer 11. That will revert to Internet Explorer 10.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back