Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Information Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

cammy

Technical User
Feb 4, 2002
GB
Hi

I am having trouble getting the Microsoft Information Store to back up on our Exchange 2000 Server.

I am receiving an error message of:

"E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=dbaexchis, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (331) "Insufficient privilege. Please check user privileges".)"

This was working fine up until recently. I have changed the administrator password but I can't find anywhere where this would need to be updated in order for the backup to run. All other files backup OK (well except perflib_perfdata files, but that is another thing).

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers
Cam

Cam,
Is your backup account member of the Exchange Admins Group?
Also is your server a BDC or a Member server? If it is a member server you could add the backup account to the local administrator group on that box.

If that doesn't work you should probably add, in services the Backup agent RPC service, set the backup account to log on and not the system account.

Let me know if it works for you and if you understand what I mean ;)

GSC

Hi

We only have one server, running SBS 2000.

There is no Exchange Administrators group to add to the administrator account. The groups the administrator account is a member of have not been changed so I don't think that is causing the backup to fail.

I'm not sure what you mean by the RPC service.....

Cheers

Cam

OK,
Do like this:
Open the services in the administrative tools.
Expand the services box and scroll down to your exchange services.
The 5:th colums should say "Log on as" and here you should either have LocalSystem or Domain\Username (i.e the Administrator account)
Let me know which it is.

Regards,
GSC

Hi

The Local account is set to log on for all ARCserve services.

I take it this should be changed to the Backup Operators account?

I'll give this a shot tonight and let you know how the backup gets on tomorrow.

Cheers

Cam

On the arcserve services you should have one that is called "backup agent RPC server" this is the service that is backing up your exchange. There is only the need to change this one to the backup operators account, the other ones you really don't have to do anything with.

Cheers.
GSC

Hi

I have changed the Backup Agent RPC to log on to the Administrator account, but I am still receiving the same error message in the backup report:

"E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=dbaexchis, EC=Backup Agent Error -- (331) "Insufficient privilege. Please check user privileges".)"

Much obliged if anyone has any other ideas about what could be causing this.

Thanks

Cam

check out the ARCserve Server admin. Under the file menu, there should be an option for the ARCserve System account. If this was using the administrator account, make sure the new password has been entered and restart the ARCserve services. This account will normally not affect the Exchange backup but it is a good idea to make sure the password is changed there.

Hi

I have made sure that the password has been updated in the ARCserve server admin area - but I am still not having any joy getting the exchange db to backup.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Cheers
Cameron

Hi,

1) Check the Account that is starting the Microsoft Information Store service in Services.

2) Check the Backup Agent RPC Server service and make sure that this service is started with the account starting information store.

3) When you setup the Job, in the security windows, Highlight the Server name and make sure that security group shows "Domainname\username" and then submit the job.

Thanks.
CD User

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back