Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft DHCP and the 80/20 Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaucer

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2003
GB
We have a few vlans and use two DHCP Servers running on Windows 2003 Server. We use IP helpers on our routers to forward IP packets to the DHCP Servers. I have implemented the Microsoft 80/20 rule as per the Microsoft best practice document. However I am having problems. I am getting leases in both the scopes for both my Windows XP clients and HP JetDirect Printers. Having read the technical data on DHCP it appears that if a Device attempts to renew it's address (either at T1, T2 or rebinding) it will contact the issuing DHCP server directly using Unicast, but if the Windows XP device is switch off then at start-up the DHCP client will broadcast which then has a 50/50 chance of having a lease on both DHCP Servers. How can Microsoft recommend this solution when it is clearly flawed? If I am missing a trick then I would love to know what.

chaucer said:
and HP JetDirect Printers.
Why are you having the printers use dhcp. Proprietary equipment like printers should have ip's that are static, not using dhcp. Check out my faq950-4927 on the 80/20 rule. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back