Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICROSOFT BACKUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

trimble

Programmer
Jan 10, 2001
US
I'm having difficulty getting Microsoft's Backup program (Win2000 Server) to function reliably. I replace tapes each weekday evening and my daily backups are executed properly...until the weekend. As I am not in on the weekends to change tapes, I have intended to have the tape which is used for the Friday night backup to be overwritten each night for the Saturday and Sunday night backups. However, every Monday morning I get the error that "backup was not performed because no unused media was avaialable". I have looked the Backup's Options, but have not found any setting to alleviate this problem. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Trimble,

Is there any data changing over the weekend? If you don't really need the backups to happen on the weekend, I would change the schedule so that backups occur only Monday through Friday. In this way, you will be on-site to change the tapes M-F.

If you need to have backups performed on the weekends as well, I think you should create two jobs. 1st job for Monday through Friday: daily backup Have the media set to REPLACE. 2ND job for Sat. and Sun.: Daily backup Have media set to append.

In this way, your Monday through Friday backups will run as normal...you will have to replace the tapes every day. Sat and Sun. tape will remain in the drive all weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back