Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft and the BI market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2003
US
Lisa Vaas: Dissecting Microsoft's Freebie BI Tools <In the wake of Microsoft's recent release of two accelerators for its SQL Server Reporting Services business-intelligence tool, some BI aficionados are sneering at Microsoft's Reporting Services, noting that the reporting mechanism isn't robust enough to support power users and that Microsoft's products aren't working well enough together.

Even if you agree, you have to admit: The fact that it's a freebie (minus the cost of SQL Server licenses, of course), not to mention the fact that it's as easy to use as Excel, is going to sound very good to people who are sick of paying through the nose for fancy BI tools. Microsoft's Reporting Services is barely scratching the surface of those pricey tools' functions anyway, from what I'm hearing. Are the tools really able to compete with the likes of Crystal, Cognos and the rest? <

-------------------------
John Herman is available for short and long term data warehousing consulting and contracts.

Hmm.. interesting article. I agree with you that this will set a new trend in BI market. Would it result in brawls similar to the Internet Browsers is a thing to be seen.
Say what you may about Microsoft but every body agrees on the intuitiveness of user friendly interfaces of their products.
I think this will maintain the healthy competitiveness in BI market that will ultimately benefit user community.

Anand

Note: All of the comments in the above NEWS thread are from eweek, not me. My comments about Microsoft and their intentions in the BI/DW market have already been stated in other threads in this forum.

John Herman is available for short and long term data warehousing consulting and contracts.

Microsoft may not be able to go toe-to-toe with the big boys right now, but their products will at least exert pricing pressure.

Reporting Services isn't that bad. You can get a decent production report out fairly quickly, and although Office integration isn't what it should be yet, I would expect a very strong showing in that area. Who can argue with an integrated platform? W2K w/ SQL Server, Analysis Services, and Reporting Services for a low price. It's a solid package for Middle Market customers who probably only need production reporting anyways.

The tool is free and comes bundled with a widelely used DBMS. I think it will blow away the competition even if the feature set is less. It's just too easy to use and too many people are irritated with Crystal and the gang.

I think when you take SQL Server, bundle free middleware like DTS and Replication, and provide free front-ends like Analysis Services and Reporting Services, you're really gonna get market share, especially for departmental and small company solutions.

Is it anti-competitive? Probably.
Is it monopolistic? Maybe.
Is it good for competition? Yes.

Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side because there is more manure there !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back