Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

microsoft and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDEdwards

Technical User
Apr 15, 2002
US
I have a new 80gb Maxtor drive, which I have been using. I was only using 50% of it and left the rest unpartitioned.

I wanted to format and install 98 and xp. So, I backed everything up, and went into fdisk, and deleted all the partitions, and rebooted.

But now, when I go into FDISK, it doesnt see the entire drive, it only sees sometimes 5000mb, 38000mb or even 1000mbs, but never the correct ammount.

So, I figured FDISK was being odd, so I took my HDD out and put it into my 2000 machine, and then proceded to use Disk Manager to clear out the nonsence fdisk put there, and created my partitions. (or some of them, I made a 5gb Win98 partition and a 1gb XP partition, left the rest for after I installed XP)

I installed win98 perfectly to C, it was 5gb as it should be. But now when I go to install Windows XP, it says

"76341 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi [MBR]

C: Partition1 [Fat32] 76340mb (4687mb Free)"

And then gives me the "hit C to install to unpartitioned space, etc...

but when I hit C nothing happens, etc....

I am REALY confused. If anyone knows how to help me out here, please just start at the beginging of "format your computer" heh.

MDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back