Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft access project multi-users

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuti

MIS
Apr 18, 2001
US
Hi,
We have 16 users who are plannign to use a centralized MS Access Porject. Is there a way to do this, so that we don't get the message that the database is read-only.

Also, what does this meesage mean? DOes this message mean that users can still insert, delete, edit the data, but cannot do anything to the design objects?

Thanks in advance.

You need to set up System Security and look into the WorkGroup Administrator program. Both are documented in the help system. Until this is done you will get the read only errors..

Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked into the system security.

I had forgotten to mention I'm using SQL server as the back-end and Access Project (adp) file, so I'm using SQL Server permissions.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Normally this would be done by splitting the database into a client and a server (used loosely). The data tables (server) are placed on the network where everyone can access them and the GUI part (client) is placed on the local system and is linked to the tables on the server. Then, merely assure that you set the database properties so you do not open it exclusively and you should not have this problem. Setting up user security in a workgroup is not required.

Steve King Growth follows a healthy professional curiosity

In order to remove this message place the parameter /runtime after the name of the adp in a shortcut. It also helps to have the path of the ACCESS.exe before.

Example
c:/windows/Access.exe c:/project/mydata.adp /runtime

This will remove the message.

Denis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back