Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Microsoft Access Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbelf

MIS
May 14, 2003
AU
hi - quick question. I have a database consisting of some forms, queries and reports that sits on top of 1 table (about 50 fields).

I need over 10 people to be able to use this database concurrently. What are the limitations? would it be improved if i split it up to use more tables? Any insight greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon!

Yes, definitely split the Db. The backend should reside on the server and the FE should be copied to each users computer. This will considerably reduce the network traffic.

hth

Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

A couple of factors will affect performance:

- how many records does the table currently have and how many records on average get added per user/per day? This can make a big difference as you approach 10's of thousands of records. That's why Oracle and SQL server are so popular.

- is the table heavily indexed? The more indexes, the slower the insert and update speeds.

- The type of file server, network, and user work station will also have an impact on user speed. Obviously, the higher end hardware you have the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back