Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros Workstation 610 32-bit OS to 64-bit OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattjames03

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2017
US
Does anyone know the proper way to upgrade our current WS610 terminals from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM? We’d had a bit of a decline in performance on these and upgrading the RAM is an easy fix for this. We attempted to do this ourselves but noticed that the OS that is currently running is a 32-bit OS and not 64-bit. When we tried to do a clean install to 64-bit Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro we can’t get the terminal to recognize a 64-bit installer upon boot. Only a USB drive with the 32-bit OS will boot. We have also tried with the Windows 10 IoT (aka Windows 10 2015 LTSB) with the same results. I have tried many different combinations in BIOS with regards to UEFI and Legacy BIOS, no luck. Can someone please point me in the direction to install a 64-bit OS so we can upgrade the RAM?

Thanks in advance!

is the processor x64 based processor otherwise I don't think it will work

When you are creating the bootable usb drive while file format are you using ? try fat32 and partition scheme=GPT that is if you are using Rufus

I'm pretty sure that I have already tried that way but I'll double check.

thread693-1787545

That didn't work either. In the above referenced thread it appears that there might be some strange procedure or Oracle image that is needed.

The Win8.1 WS6's are 32 bit hardware and will never take a 64 bit o/s load. They never made a Win10 image for that hardware, they updated the guts of it to 64 bit and did a Win10 version. They still sell the Win8.1 32 bit model also because a lot of Simphony customers have still not upgraded past 1.6 and Win10 isn't supported until 1.7 or later. I'm not sure what you're running that would eat the memory, never seen that, but your only option for more than 4gb RAM would be to purchase the Win10 64 bit model as a replacement.

Matt.
If your issues is with the workstations being slow there might be a reason other than upgrading the memory..
You need to look at the 3700d.log and see what is happening. I had a similar issue and i had to rebuild the database.

I support a restaurant doing more than 170k a week and we have workstations running windows 8 with 4gb or ram and we dont have those problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back