Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros Workstation 5A Boot Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonCL

Technical User
Dec 14, 2017
GB
I have a WS5A that is playing up. Whenever I restart the workstation, it sometimes just hangs post-BIOS.

NK.BIN appears, then it shows the usual 'Loading Windows CE...' but the desktop never appears. I have to do a Factory Reset to get back to the desktop.

Having Factory Reset via BIOS a few times, as well as restoring the BIOS defaults (as I thought it might have been something to do with boot order or similar), I'm now at a bit of a loss. There are no USB sticks etc inserted into the device that could be affecting boot sequence and I haven't changed any other settings.

My other thought is that it might be a faulty CF card? We are long out of Oracle support - and I don't even know if they still sell replacements for the WS5. Could I potentially get a low capacity new CF card on Amazon and use that with a clean image? How would I do that?

Secondly, re-imaging with the current card to the latest build. Does anyone know how to complete that - i.e is there a tool I can use on one of our PCs to re-flash or something.

We use RES 3700 and will eventually be going to Simphony with new workstations, but I need to make this work for at least another 6 months or so!

Huge thanks for any tips/advice.

I'd recommend a windows virtual machine you connect to via a tablet. this is pretty easy to setup and does away with clunky old hardware. email me if you'd like some instructions... andrew@xpotech.net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back