Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros Symphony WS650 - Cash Drawer and Customer Display not working - company Win10 Image

BJPeroutka

Systems Engineer
Jan 10, 2023
US
WS650 Terminal running: Micros Symphony v19.5.0.0.342 & SQL Express v2022
Using Win10 Image that I have successfully used on 25 WS625 Terminals. This is my 1 and only WS650.

Installed and updated everything for Micros as I did for the WS625 - but my Customer Display will not work, and Cash Drawer will not open.

Guessing drivers or the pcwsapi.sys file and reg keys.

I have been using REG key's from my WS5 machines that resolved the same issue when we upgraded to WS625's - but those keys are not working for me on the WS650

Kbqsize_Elkridge.reg
NormalCashDrawer.reg
Ntapi_Main.reg
ReverseCashDrawer.reg
pcwsapi.sys

Anyone experience this same situation and find a solution or an updated PCWSAPI.SYS file and/or updated reg keys?

Or - would someone have a WS650 that has not been reimaged that I maybe can get some drivers from?

BPeroutka@uwhealth.org

So, the way I understand it, you might be using the wrong image
The workstation 620 is to the 650, where the 625 is to the 655. I've had real wonky issues when I applied a 625 image to a 620. So i'm just guessing here, but your issue might be the same reason.

I have a 620/650 Win10 Iot image, as well as the WS650 BIOS 1.5.3.0 upgrade from Oracle 650 I can share. Or if you have access to MOS I can tell you how to download them.
Either way, just let me know what you want to do.

Joseph -

I'm not sure what MOS is so either I need a spelled-out acronym or would not mind if you can provide me the file somehow.

Reached out to my Hardware Guy - my model numbers were wrong. You know how they sell you a WS6?

Turns out we are running 21 WS650 machines with my company image, Micros Simphony, and SQL Express 2022. No issues using the pcswapi.sys and reg keys to get the drawer and display working when I imaged those machines initially and then rebuilt last summer to update from SQL Express v2012.

Had 2 WS650 machine brick on me, so that left me without a spare machine and our vendor wanted an exorbitant amount for a used machine. Had someone contact me from Illinois with a WS655x deal $800 - so we purchased 1 and I was able to image/build it without issue using my same WS650 build.

Ultimately, I would like to switch to a PC with a touch-screen and Windows 11 - and will try my Simphony v19.5.0.0.342 build on it. If I can get a USB cash drawer and USB customer display to work - then I'm going with Dell PC's and our company warranty vs. waiting for Oracle to come up with a Win11 solution for us.

The new machine that I can't get the drawer/display working on is a WS655x. Unfortunately no clue what version of BIOS it's running, but at this point, I'd be willing to try that as well. I was in looking at BIOS settings the other day, but more for PORT information than anything to see if maybe they weren't enabled - could not find any of that. Did find where to change the Cash Drawer from 12v to 24v - but no difference.

After my Win10 Image was laid down, went into Device Manager and found quite a few drivers missing. Found the COM Port Drivers, and a few others, but there are still some not found - so hoping a combination of drivers may resolve or maybe the BIOS update.

My email is: bperoutka@uwhealth.org

Attachments

• 2024-10-02 16_35_22-Clipboard.png
    2024-10-02 16_35_22-Clipboard.png
    446.5 KB · Views: 3
So, the way I understand it, you might be using the wrong image
The workstation 620 is to the 650, where the 625 is to the 655. I've had real wonky issues when I applied a 625 image to a 620. So i'm just guessing here, but your issue might be the same reason.

I have a 620/650 Win10 Iot image, as well as the WS650 BIOS 1.5.3.0 upgrade from Oracle 650 I can share. Or if you have access to MOS I can tell you how to download them.
Either way, just let me know what you want to do.

Hi Joseph, hope you are doing well. Please could you share the W10 image at all? I currently don't have access to MOS and am desperate for some help while troubleshooting an issue. Many thanks in adv.

Joseph -

I'm not sure what MOS is so either I need a spelled-out acronym or would not mind if you can provide me the file somehow.

Reached out to my Hardware Guy - my model numbers were wrong. You know how they sell you a WS6?

Turns out we are running 21 WS650 machines with my company image, Micros Simphony, and SQL Express 2022. No issues using the pcswapi.sys and reg keys to get the drawer and display working when I imaged those machines initially and then rebuilt last summer to update from SQL Express v2012.

Had 2 WS650 machine brick on me, so that left me without a spare machine and our vendor wanted an exorbitant amount for a used machine. Had someone contact me from Illinois with a WS655x deal $800 - so we purchased 1 and I was able to image/build it without issue using my same WS650 build.

Ultimately, I would like to switch to a PC with a touch-screen and Windows 11 - and will try my Simphony v19.5.0.0.342 build on it. If I can get a USB cash drawer and USB customer display to work - then I'm going with Dell PC's and our company warranty vs. waiting for Oracle to come up with a Win11 solution for us.

The new machine that I can't get the drawer/display working on is a WS655x. Unfortunately no clue what version of BIOS it's running, but at this point, I'd be willing to try that as well. I was in looking at BIOS settings the other day, but more for PORT information than anything to see if maybe they weren't enabled - could not find any of that. Did find where to change the Cash Drawer from 12v to 24v - but no difference.

After my Win10 Image was laid down, went into Device Manager and found quite a few drivers missing. Found the COM Port Drivers, and a few others, but there are still some not found - so hoping a combination of drivers may resolve or maybe the BIOS update.

My email is: bperoutka@uwhealth.org
Yeah, from what I understand Simphony doesn't have a win11 solutions and they're in no rush to do so. Everything has been win10 Iot, Android, and Linux.

Alright, so just to clarify a couple things here so we make sure we're on the same page.
For MOS, that stands for My Oracle Support. That's where oracle partners can go to submit service tickets, and also download updates, patches, and images.

For the WS6, Oracle has made a few different generations and they're all built off of different internal hardwars.
First there was the 610.
The next generation there was the 620 and 650.
Then in the most recent iteration there is the 625 and 655. (This doesn't include the different sub models like the 625e/655e and 625x./655x)

But the main point here is how the internal are built. The 620 and 650 are built off the same board, with the 650 having more beef. And the 625 and 655 are built off the same board as one another, but different than the 620/650. So if you're using an image for a 650 series on a 655 series, you're not going to have a good time.
I was promised once by an out of state client that they were using 610s for their RES system that we were converting to Simphony. I trusted them, but didn't verify on my own and reimaged them all with my 610 image. They were all 620s. It was a less than enjoyable time. Ports were messed up, printing didnt' work, the desktop kept flipping upside down even though the device was right side up. Just a mess. But after I put the right image on there, all the problems went away. Just taking a guess here without physically being with you, i'd be willing to bet that may be the cash drawer issues. especially since you said when Ops launched you were missing a bunch of drivers.

Let me double check what I have onhand. If I don't have a 655 image i'll see what I can pull from MOS.
But, one more question, how are you applying said image? or you using a bootable disk, or an app like clonezilla?

Yeah, from what I understand Simphony doesn't have a win11 solutions and they're in no rush to do so. Everything has been win10 Iot, Android, and Linux.

Alright, so just to clarify a couple things here so we make sure we're on the same page.
For MOS, that stands for My Oracle Support. That's where oracle partners can go to submit service tickets, and also download updates, patches, and images.

For the WS6, Oracle has made a few different generations and they're all built off of different internal hardwars.
First there was the 610.
The next generation there was the 620 and 650.
Then in the most recent iteration there is the 625 and 655. (This doesn't include the different sub models like the 625e/655e and 625x./655x)

But the main point here is how the internal are built. The 620 and 650 are built off the same board, with the 650 having more beef. And the 625 and 655 are built off the same board as one another, but different than the 620/650. So if you're using an image for a 650 series on a 655 series, you're not going to have a good time.
I was promised once by an out of state client that they were using 610s for their RES system that we were converting to Simphony. I trusted them, but didn't verify on my own and reimaged them all with my 610 image. They were all 620s. It was a less than enjoyable time. Ports were messed up, printing didnt' work, the desktop kept flipping upside down even though the device was right side up. Just a mess. But after I put the right image on there, all the problems went away. Just taking a guess here without physically being with you, i'd be willing to bet that may be the cash drawer issues. especially since you said when Ops launched you were missing a bunch of drivers.

Let me double check what I have onhand. If I don't have a 655 image i'll see what I can pull from MOS.
But, one more question, how are you applying said image? or you using a bootable disk, or an app like clonezilla?

Thank you for your detailed reply, super interesting. We are currently out of MOS access until our vendor agrees a renewal.

We have 610 workstations here. Some idiot in our team decided to format and re-install a vanilla image, and no drivers etc, are working, so printing and MSR are broken.

I would be amazingly grateful for a W10 610 x64 image 🙏

If I can pay it forward with a coffee donation or two let me know!

Thank you for your detailed reply, super interesting. We are currently out of MOS access until our vendor agrees a renewal.

We have 610 workstations here. Some idiot in our team decided to format and re-install a vanilla image, and no drivers etc, are working, so printing and MSR are broken.

I would be amazingly grateful for a W10 610 x64 image 🙏

If I can pay it forward with a coffee donation or two let me know!
Sure thing, no worres. I can share, I have a couple 610 images.
Same question to you though, are you imaging with a boot disk or with clonezilla? The oracle image needs to be added to a dos type bootable disk, which isn't hard to do. and that image is a back to square one type image. so you'll have a shit-ton of windows updates to apply once you're done. But if you're using clonezilla, I have a much more up to date version I could share. I have 610s in my lab, so I have an image I use with clonezilla to flash when I need to. it's probably behind on windows updates too, but not nearly as deep as the Oracle images. but if you're not using CZ this is kinda of a moot point and the Oracle version would be best.

Thanks, dude, I appreciate it.

I will be restoring it using the Oracle version. We manually deploy here, but I should get set up with Clonezilla. Noted on Windows Updates. Our workstations are usually LAN-only, as we handle card processing externally.

I would love some advice about Clonezilla further down the line once we get this sorted!

How is best to file share? Cheers.

Thanks, dude, I appreciate it.

I will be restoring it using the Oracle version. We manually deploy here, but I should get set up with Clonezilla. Noted on Windows Updates. Our workstations are usually LAN-only, as we handle card processing externally.

I would love some advice about Clonezilla further down the line once we get this sorted!

How is best to file share? Cheers.
I'm currently getting a few files compressed into zips, then I'm gonna put them in my google drive. Shoot me your email address and I'll share it with you.

Legendary - can't thank you enough. I have DM'd my email to you.

I just want to send huge kudos to Joseph for sorting me out and getting our WS6 back online.
I'm sending you virtual beer! [cheers]

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back