Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros Res - Output to KDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 17, 2010
US
This is a high level question that I would like some info on before I even begin to get into the development.

Is it possible to output messaging to a KDS unit via SIM. For example, I would like to query some info from the back office database and output the results to a dedicated messaging KDS. I was thinking I would write a SIM that would trigger on command and output the results to a monitor in the kitchen. I was thinking it would be a KDS driven monitor but really havent got too deep in the details. Just want to know what kind of options the experts out there may think of.

Regards

Why even go that far? We did something similar for one of our airport locations. They have prep KDS and single Expo KDS. When they bump the order off the expo KDS, using the guest name input at the beginning, it flashes a message on a customer facing screen indicating their order is ready. We are just using a re-purposed KDS controller and a .NET application to do it; easy peasy.

I don't know if there is a way to send a message to a KDS beyond just sending menu items, but I suppose you could handle it that way. Send a special check with a header/menu item with the message you need to send.

It would help to know what kind of messages you are trying to send and what level of interaction with the kitchen you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back