Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros RES 5.0 - Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.

regilobo

Programmer
Aug 18, 2003
US
Can anyone confirm or deny running Eclipse workstations under RES 5.0? Any issues?

I have a Win2000 Pro Eclipse and the dealer is very hesitant about using it (after upgrading to WinXP). I am trying to determine if there is a valid concern, or if they are just trying to push us to spend another $2k on a WS5a.

Can an eclipse run? Yes. I have a hotel I recently swapped servers for and the eclipse CALed once I upgraded CAL on it. Windows XP. Does it run nicely? Well... It is stable, though slow as hell. Eclipse is just a win32 client. Windows XP and Windows 7 both work just fine as win32 clients for res 5. It is only the CE workstations that require you to break out the compatibility matrix.

Like I said though, it's going to be slow as hell simply because an Eclipse is really old hardware. But how it runs now is basically how it will run on RES 5 sonic you can live with your current speeds you'll be fine.

Yeah buy maybe Micros uses the iPad only for Mgr/Report aspects vs. tableside ordering. It looks like Micros may still be clinging to Motorola hardware for tableside ordering POS vs. using iPads (where the direction seems to be for most POS software mfgr's.

They are offering an iPad solution, yes. It will be considerably more limited than using their custom built hardware; however, the custom built hardware is more expensive, so I'm sure that the iPad solution will still manage to appeal to quite a few people. They are also offering a new IOS app that integrates beautifully with myMicros, including push notifications. From what I've heard the new CEO actually took the smart route and had the app developed by a company that specializes in making apple apps, so it looks very slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back