Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros Res 3700 backup server

Status
Not open for further replies.

myu0516

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2019
CA
In POS Config -> Restaurant -> Options, there is a backup server setting.

How to use this setting? Just select one workstation (a network node) from the drop-down list as a backup server?

Or, we need to have a dedicated/spare PC working as a backup server? How to set up the spare PC? Clone the server (a system image?) on the spare PC? But will the spare PC sync with the main server on the fly? For example, if the main server fails and the backup server kicks in, will the backup server have all the order info on the main server?

Thanks.

Update: did a search and found this
Did a search and found this Does the identical PC mean both hardware and software need to be the same? For software, since Micros database is updated all the time, how to ensure the data sync?

This is an option that has always intrigued me and I think Micros dropped the ball on as not informing customers about as a reliability feature. Very limited documentation on the feature. That said I have never tested it. My understanding is you would set one of your back of house Micros workstations as the backup server. Back in the day the front of house clients did not have hard drives. Now with POS clients having hard drives and increased computing power and running windows you should be able to use one of them. If you want the system to limp by you set your workstation as the back up before CAL. If you want it as a full working backup you would need to install credit card drivers, interfaces etc, etc on the backup server after CAL. My understanding.

bump -- Would be interesting to know if anyone successfully has a backup server in a micros 3700 environment. We use the backup server as win32 WS5A and WS6's, so I'd imagine it has to be a 32/64 bit machine instead of CE.

There are also limitations to the backup server in our environment, no credit cards etc. Once the main server is back online the backup server syncs check details with the POS server.

I tested this setup for my previous employer and was very underwhelmed. Using an NCR 7616 workstation (Dual core, low power i5 and 4Gb of RAM, quite a bit more muscle than a 5a), it just didn't prove stable. We did not take it far enough to install credit card drivers either, so I can't speak to how easy that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back