Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros POS - Connect to db

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenaBrave

Programmer
Feb 6, 2014
thread693-1030054

Good Day

I am trying to connect micros.db with SQLAnyWhere ... I get Encryption key missing
How i can connect please!

Help is appreciated
Thanks

Instead of trying to connect to your own copy of the database, why don't you just connect directly to the Micros database? Is this something you are trying to run off site?

You might consider installing RES on your offsite lab, and putting it in demo mode. Restore the database to that and just connect to that. Micros Database Manager will handle importing all the encryption keys from the .mbz5 file when you use it to do a restore.

Thanks for your reply ..

It is actually offsite test, i got a copy from the db and i am trying to connect
all i need is to get all data inside the database or export it or link directly .. i know very well it is easy, but this is the first time to deal with micros.

I have .mbz5 and i extracted with .reg and .db file. is there any idea to get encryption or data inside the database anyway ..
I do not need to get in touch with the live one ...

and if i have the live server, can i easily connect with it? without miss the working system? I will be happy to connect with live database

ALL I NEED IS THE DATA INSIDE !

You probably can't. It's a security measure. Res 5 databases are more secure than older versions.

Okay ... Is there any method to export the data from the database ??
Or .. Connect directly with 3rd party module on the same server ...

Like is there DNS that i can connect directly with .Net?

All i need to extract data for more reports ....

Or even I am sure, may be there are any method to export data from the database to any extension

Your help is appreciated !

If you're writing a .net application to connect locally just use an odbc connection. Make the target .net 2.0 and compile it as a 32 bit executable.

Take one of two approaches. Pmegans is good; use either an ODBC or OLEDB connection directly to the live database.

Or because my company is made up of paranoid bastards, do what we do. We do a csv export that is then synced back to a central computer using an SSL connection, which we then import into the local database. That way we can manipulate the data on our end without ever touching Micros. There are serious downsides to this method though; the data isn't live and unless you do a complete dump each time, if a manager goes back and corrects some things you might miss the changes. You have to have pretty tight control (this is an EM site so we do) in order to do stuff like that.

I still think the best course of action in this case is to just load Res on the test server and restore the backup. If it's a one time shot to pull data it's now worth developing an application or navigating your fort knox system, lol

Hehe. Nope. Installing Micros is easy. Having a test server, even if not for pulling data, is totally worth it. Have a playground to blow things up before you deploy.

Exactly that i am talking about, I am writing .Net App to read directly from the Database
The Issue is when creating DSN the database unable to connect as it requests the encryption key
this database is offsite (On my computer) ... If it is okay to connect to the server (Which provides the micros itself)directly
it will be okay but i have to setup SQLAnyWhere and just i do not need to setup anything right now

Just need to connect to DSN, Only the encryption key problem ...
Any Solution ... ?

You can of course connect remotely but then you have to open the port.

You really really are going to be better off setting up a lab. You don't even have to license it. You can run your lab in demo mode.

First ... thanks for all your replays ..

Please, I do not have micros system itself on my computer ... I only have a backup for i think one day storage (micros.db)

Simply ... I want to connect with my .Net App to it!

When creating DSN, it requires encryption Key. i need the encryption key .. how to get?
Or .. is there anyway to connect with the database locally? Instead of installing SQLAnyWhere in micros server?

That's it!

Please help

thanks

I don't know what else to tell you. Keep asking the same questions and you're going to keep getting the same answers. They won't change because you want to hear something different.

[ul]
[li]You can't get the encryption key; it's different for each server. Plus it's a security measure. If you could ask and get it on a public forum then why bother having it all.[/li]
[li]The Micros database is designed to run on Micros servers with the Sybase database engines installed. You can't copy it to a PC and access it as a file using just a connection string.[/li]
[li]You can connect locally on the live server using an ODBC connection in your .net application. You can also use an OLEDB connection, but I prefer ODBC. Micros changed the Sybase version in RES 4.11 and 5.0 so ODBC is more portable. However, nobody is going to recommend this for testing.[/li]
[li]And as has been mentioned many times, you're best option is to install the Micros software. It's free to use in a development environment so I really don't understand the reluctance to do so.[/li]
[/ul]

Lastly, this annoyed me:
"but i have to setup SQLAnyWhere and just i do not need to setup anything right now"

If you're developing 3rd party applications, setting up your own testing environment goes with the territory. There's not even any cost involved, so spend a couple of hours and do it right. I don't like wasting time installing RES either but I have to sometimes.

Dear pmegan,

Good Day ...

First, thanks for your kindly reply :)
I did not get you at first, sorry

Now, you are saying 2 options.
A) Installing res at my PC (demo) and restore DB ... Right ? and then i can deal with db and then export or something (I recommend this option) to get in touch with all features (Can you tell me how to get micros demo) from official website or other ?

B) Installing 3rd Party application, on micros server itself (Also good one). Only I did not find any driver in DNS to connect with my .Net App_ That's it. for that reason i was asking about that .. What the steps to do ??

Lastly, Please ... do not be annoyed ... :) i am trying to get in touch with something totally new with !

Really, thanks for your help :)

Mena

Option A is what I would recommend - very, very strongly. You'll have a fully functioning Micros server, the only real restriction is that it will run in demo mode, so all sales will post to the same business date and you can't run live credit cards.

If you decide to go with option B use an ODBC connection in your .net application. You don't need drivers or connection strings that way. Also, make it a self contained executable that doesn't use any external dll's or config files. You want something that you can just copy to the server and run without an installation package. And run it when the restaurant is closed and after backing up the database.

The reason I'm annoyed is that you are new to working with Micros but seem reluctant to install it and know the product you're trying to write an application for. I've been working on this system for over 15 years but still have 8 images with various versions of 3700 so I can write and test my products on the correct platform. I've also a ton of substandard, and a few rather questionable, 3rd party apps written by people who thought they could use basic development knowledge without understanding the product they're connecting to. The data in Micros is confusing. There are 877 tables, 612 views and 35 global temp tables. You have to know what you're looking at and how everything interacts. It's very, very easy to pull incorrect information.

Thanks thanks thanks for you kindly reply

I like Option A, Can you tell me where to get demo of micros
AND

I will test option B too as per your talk but Option A is Great

Just the link to download

Thanks

The site you're working for should have the installation DVDs or ISO files on the Micros server that can be burned to create them. If not, find out what version of RES they're using and I'll see if I have them on my google drive.

Thank you very much for your kindly help,
really thanks for your effort and sorry for any disturbance

during, i will try to make small tool to run on micros server to test and will try to export data

let me only ask for something

- the database parameters will like i saw here in forum ... (UID/Pass = Custom) + ServerIP ? is that right ?
- Also i need to check with you about the availability of adding new terminals/printers without returning back to supplier and can activate them?
- Lastly, if i need to return back to old data ... is that available ? (ex: 2 months )

Thanks

[ul]
[li]The user/pass may or may not be custom/custom. It depends on the restaurant owner and the Micros distributor it was purchased from.[/li]
[li]Use an ODBC connection and connect to the Micros datasource, you don't need the IP. Compile your program as a 32 bit application or it won't find the Micros datasource.[/li]
[li]You can add printers to the system, but the system licensing is per workstation so you need to go through a dealer for that. Also, there are 3 levels of licenses that depend on the number of workstations you have: 1-4, 5-9, and 10+. If you cross any of those thresholds you'll have to upgrade the foundation license as well as the per workstation codes.[/li]
[li]You can't roll back data. You'd need to restore a database backup from the date you want to go back to. My guess is that there isn't a 2 month old backup laying around.[/li]
[/ul]

Now I have a question for you. Why are you so reluctant to install the software you need to do this properly? I'd never, under any circumstances, write a program and run it on a live server without testing it on a lab system. To be blunt, it's just stupid. In the time you've spent trying to get around it you could have had it installed and been most of the way through your data extractions already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back