Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros Eclipse Workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

j1500

Programmer
Feb 15, 2006
US
Has anyone experienced several problems with their Micros Eclipse Workstations overheating and going bad?

It seems like I have replaced 4 power supplies in the last week.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

We take the Eclipse plastice housing off when we receive them and drill about 8 1/4 inch holes through the top of it....behind the touchscreen mount. Seems to help alot with cooling and we have not had te replace any power supplies. We also clean the insides of the Eclipes every 6 months as they collect a lot of dust and dirt around the fans.
Hope this helps!

We drilled holes in the back for a while too, but one of the selling points was that they're "virtually waterproof" and the holes had a negative impact on that. (I worked for a Micros dealership when they first came out and we poured a cup of water over one just like in the sales video and the thing really did keep working.)

One of the biggest problems with overheating is the staff throwing stuff on the workstations. When I started my current job the eclipses were blowing out almost weekly. There were check presenters, menus, napkins, etc... piled on and around the workstations, leaving no room for air to circulate. We started holding the managers responsible and issuing a kind of demerit against their bonuses whenever this happened. We have 186 eclipses across all our stores and I don't think we've had more than 10 calls total for overheated workstations in the 3 years since that policy was put in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back