Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MICROS 5.2 WINDOWS 7 POS FREEZING INTERMITTENLY 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer Venne-Redlund

IS-IT--Management
Jul 30, 2016
US
Hi, We are using Micros 5.2/ Windows 7 pos systems. Lately all locations are experiencing sporadic freezing up for 10-15 min. The back desktop pc will freeze and the the WS5a's pos systems will freeze and then a few minutes later, they recover on their own. We are having no luck figuring this out. Any Suggestions??

Please check the power option on control panel make to sleep mode to never

When the PC freezes the workstations do the same because they are constantly talking to each other and updating files. Usually if the office PC freezes you will be able to at least have the option to go into stand alone mode. It can be:
1) A virus.
2)The CPU/processor chip or motherboard.
3)Bad power may be the culprit.

Have them replace the PC if you have a contract. If not you can try purchasing a used one on ebay but make sure that it is the exact same model.

Do you have a good line conditioner/UPS in place? Some people find it hard to believe but in my 25+ years in this business I have seen some crazy stuff happen due to bad power.

When I was with Micros, they made sure that every piece of hardware sold (on a new order) had a Power Var line conditioner that the hardware plugged into.

Office PC, Monitor, Switch Router - used a large unit that also had battery back up
Workstation and Thermal Printer shared a line conditioner with 1.29 amp
Kitchen printers each had a line conditioner with .69 amp

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back