Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700 WS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtunstall

Technical User
Jul 9, 2010
CA
we have a Server and 1 ws. The workstation locked up restarted did a chkdsk and now displays windows CE screen.

I need the procedures to connect the workstation to the server.

If anyone has the directions or if there is away to determine if a file was erased on the WS it would be appreciated.

thank you very much in advance

John

on the workstation perform the following.

start -> programs -> CAL -> Reconfigure CAL

It will search for your micros server and display all found server in a list.
Select the server from the list and press next.
You will then be given a list of available workstations.
Select your workstation name and press save.

The CAL service will now install micros on the till and connect it to the server.

Thank you very much for the response.

Cal folder is missing on the workstation!? can it be reinstalled?

thank you

John

update

i do have the doc folder but the Micros configurator EXE is missing.

go into the doc folder -> utilities -> and run the wcf.exe
wcf is wipe compact flash.

If you run this and select the options to wipe the flash and clear the registry.
after you do this it will power off the workstation, turn it back on and it should automatically run the cal program to install micros and then follow the steps in my last post.

Thank you for your Patience...but that file is missing..im beginning to suspect sabotage and not chkdsk error as every file you have suggested does not exist. The folder exists with other file (format setlcd ect)

Would the same files be on the server? and i could possibly copy them? I did see you mentioned coping missing files from another workstation in a previous post.

thank you again

John

those files wont be on the server but they should be on another ws4 if you can get your hands on one.

thanks for trying to help...i have determined the 128MB flash is bad. It was severally corrupted and failed formatting several times. I replaced it and am seeking someone with a identical WS to copy the files required.

thanks again

John

You could just pay Micros to reflash the ROM. It'll take about 10 minutes.

the easy solution.....i tried to help my local cheap restaurant but alas they must do it themselves...thanks for the obvious.

there's nothing wrong with trying to save the cash, but at some point they just have to bite the bullet and get it done. great try on your part though.

i could provide the files if you need them. you can flash it with an old computer with a port or just use a usb flash drive to transfer the files. you just have to put the flash drive in and plug in a PS2 mouse before you turn on the WS. Right click and copy paste the files to the CF folder.

I have a 4mB zip that contains WS4 platform (EEPROM) and CAL upgrades and documentation all in one zip. Free to you. (ex Micros employee) But if you want to take your workstation back to factory settings please do the following:

Factory Restore
The procedure to initiate the Factory Restore feature can be found below.
WARNING:
Factory Restore deletes all files from the Compact Flash Card. If required, take steps to preserve files on the CF card before running Factory Restore.
1. Connect a Keyboard to the workstation, and power-up.
2. When the Blue BIOS splash screen appears, press the key combination [ALT-M]. Note: some keyboards do not initalize in time to detect this key combination. As an alternative, you can press [Del] to enter BIOS Setup, select the Features Configuration screen, and set the WIN_CE_FACTORY_RESTORE field to ‘Enabled.’ Press [ESC] to continue.
• The screen prompts for the system password.
3. If you have not changed the default system password, enter ‘Hmlton’ (case sensitive) and press enter. Press ‘Y’ to confirm.
• The screen returns to the Setup Main Menu.
4. Select ‘Write to CMOS and Exit’ and press enter. Press ‘Y’ to confirm.
• The unit restarts and prompts ‘Factory Restore in Progress - Please Wait.’
5. When the process is complete, the unit restarts.
The workstation is now running the operating system and platform files that were originally stored in the hidden factory restore partition. Over time, some files may become out-of-date. However since the purpose of Factory Restore is to repair a workstation that will not boot, the unit
can now be pointed to a properly configured application server running the CAL where it will receive available platform updates and the application software.

Cheers. Steve

I have a WS4 and am trying to get into the bios. I followed your instructions above but haven't had any luck. I've tried
- power off then...
- power on then...
- wait for splash screen (all blue with micros logo) and press
- Alt-m
- Alt-M
- DEL
- the usual suspects (F1, F2, F10, INS)
- hold until
- black frame goes around the micros logo
- WinCE is booted

What am I missing please?

I am having the same problem but i dont have a second ws4 to get the programs from.

hey. You only need to do a system restore. The mobile CAL is in the OS build. All you have to do is follow the instructions above, the nk.bin is an OS image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back