Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700 RES 4.0 upgrade backup and upgrade options

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmedx

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2002
US
Hello fellas,

I have a new client that has been running Micros 3700 4.0 on a XP machine for years. It has a 80g HDD partitioned into 3 partitions,if HDD fails all will be lost. What I would like to do is upgrade the server to a regular WIN 10 Pro machine and install RES 4.0 on that. Is this possible? What steps would I need to take in getting all this setup properly?

I also recommended that we CLONE the current HDD for safe keeping in case the old server crashed. We would be able to at least get back up and running on a new XP machine. I would like to get this unit upgraded and also the SW updated to the latest version this is always better than using old non PCI compliant HW and SW..

Keep in mind money is of great concern here.

Thanks in advance for all your help guys!

You could upgrade to RES 4.9 with no charge. Patches available online. Always test on a lab box first. At 4.9 though it still needs to go on an XP or Win 2003 server machine. Would need to look through the 4.9 patches and see if they added support for Win7. Dont think you will get it working on Win10 but may be wrong. Clone is great idea. What you really need is the database backed up off the machine somewhere. Other computer, cloud etc. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks so much. What is the procedure for backing up the DB? Is there a utility in the tools? Which is the DB file to backup?

The DB should be backing up nightly locally. If you look in the database file you should see some archived/backups hopefully with a very current date. I like to copy the latest back up to somewhere else. We do it daily.

Very good. Was looking for something more automated since no one is on site all the time.

They just called and stated they wanted to plug another POS in for a party tonight and it says PCI security settings are not in place.

That said I had to turn off advanced security the other day, they tried their pw to many times on the server side and got locked out. I did not turn it back on so they would not need a user ID and pw ID. Per their request. If Im not mistaken wont the POSs always do this when the server is rebooted without advance security on? Sorry new to MICROS.

So how do I reattach? Turn on advanced security and reboot the POSs again? With number 3 connected.

Sorry new to MICROS.
Thanks for your help!

Confused? Plug another POS into Micros?
You need to turn advanced security back o once you have the password figured out.
Not sure what you are reattaching. A workstation?

Yes a workstation. They move them around and sometimes use in standalone mode outside for barbecues.

Ok hope you are out there this am. They rebooted the server and now it says whats in the picture.

The only thing I did was turn advanced security back on. When I turn it off they come back online. They are showing in control panel but not loading the DB for some reason.
MICROS_3700_ERRORS_latnwx.jpg

Help ASAP is appreciated they open at 10am.

I changed it back to classic security and it still gives same error as the picture. WS 1 and 3 give this message 2 comes up no problem. They all show in control panel and I have reloaded the DB from there 4 times with same results.

you need to uncheck "Use Micros Classic Security" and check the require alpha numeric password options.

the set

Days until password expires 90
maximun idle time 10
minimum password leght 7
maximum failed log ins 5
password repeat intervals 5

that should be under POS configurator-> system >restaurant -> security

Im on it. Thanks

Why would #2 be connecting without issues? Also They want to upgrade to the latest Micros, We are not having any luck finding a wholesaler or Dist.

Thanks again,

Thank you so much. Its up and working. Have no idea how those settings got changed.

it could be that the one that is working is on stand by mode.

No it wasnt. But not worried about the why as long as its working now
no one knows where to purchase new SW or system?
Thanks so much.

PCmedx glad Jimmy got you back online. On the web through one of the Oracle sites, Oracle Support i believe, you can request pricing for an upgrade and get the new codes yourself and do the upgrade if your comfortable with that. If you need them to do the install you will also need to buy the upgrade install labour time. If your level 4.x you will need the codes to move to 5.x for whatever you are currently licensed for. Price should not be too bad. I would suggest you try yourself. Get a new machine with Win 10. Put the new software on it. (Software is free and available online) and try the process yourself. Its not that hard. If you are good with it get the license codes and do the upgrade for real yourself. At 4.0 you want to upgrade to 4.7 or so for the database. Then i would go 5.2 or 5.4 next to convert the database to 5.x then go up to 5.7 or the latest version that's stable. My thoughts.

So the upgrade SW will read the DB backup? If so the rest is cake. We have done many of these POS upgrades over 25 years just not with Micros.

Sorry

Thanks so much fro all the info.

Good stuff man

Yes the database will upgrade. Your is a big jump from 4.0 to now 5.7 so you will probably want to step it up. And test it on a machine not in use. The install documents are online as well. Need to follow them step by step or can get some hiccups. If you need help reach out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back