Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700 Backup Server Install 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArgoNavis

Programmer
Apr 6, 2007
US
Is there any chance someone could give me a rough sketch of how a Backup Server
PCWS is installed from scratch (Micros 3700 v3.1). Is the process similar to
installing a regular non-BS PCWS? Does one need to do a CD install, or is a
preconfigured image required?

I would be very grateful for a few hints! Extremely very, in fact. ;-)

AN.

I haven't set up a backup server in ages, when version 3.0 was current, but from what I remember it was pretty easy. You just add it as a network node in devices/network nodes and select it as the backup server in system/restaurant/general. Turn on the unit you'll be using as the backup and run netsetup on it.

That's pretty much it, but pay attention to this note if you want to process credit cards from the backup server:

MICROS Feature Ref said:
CA/EDC device configurations must be identical on the primary and backup servers. If the CA/EDC driver uses device #1 on the primary server, it must also use device #1 on the backup server for authorizations to work properly in backup server mode.

[!]Hint:[/!] Search for "Offline Modes" in the Feature Reference for more info.

pmegan, regilobo,

Thank you very much for the information -- I'm in your
debt! The HDD on the BS failed, and I think this gives
me enough to get it up again.

If I may ask one follow-up: I have only ever run across
backup servers which were installed on WinNT, however
this unit surprised me by running Win95. From the
perspective of licenses & hardware I have the option to
use either OS, and my inclination is to use NT because of
its advantages as a server. Are there any other
considerations which one would need to take into account
to make an intelligent choice?

Thanks again!

AN.

If you can provision a dedicated machine that isn't a normal workstaion and load win2k on it, I'd go that route. Otherwise, choose your newest workstation, consider the modem issue if you want to process credit cards, and be done with it.

Hopefully, you'll never need it, but if you do, it should only be for a short period anyway. The nice thing about the Backup Server setup is you can easily designate another machine if you need to, so I wouldn't sweat it that much. If the HDD fails on your designated BU server, just switch the setting in system/restaurant/general to another machine and you're good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back