Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micros 3700 automatic DB backups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArgoNavis

Programmer
Apr 6, 2007
US
Hello,

I've just run into a Micros RES 3700 server which is filling up its disk space with database backups during nightly maintenance. The directory is D:\Micros\Data\Database\Backup (I may have gotten some pathname components mixed up, he says sheepishly), and the backups come in sets of two files, where the DB backup filename is of the form micros_MM_DD_HH_MM.db and has a similarly named .log file. The folder contains several months of daily backups, and the first backup in the folder, chronologically, has an additional ".good" file extension.

For some reason, whatever nightly script that does the voodoo that it does, is no longer deleting the older backups, and I'd be mildly curious how to restore this happy behavior before I'm buying petabytes of disk space to satisfy the POS beast :)-). Is it possible that that first ".good" backup is confusing the script?

I would be very grateful for any hints, tips, insight (or large disk drives)! Thank you!

AN.

Here are a few things you can check.

Open the POS configurator and go to the System tab, Options button. Make sure the 'Number of DB backups' and 'number of logs to keep' boxes both have a 2 in them. This is what tells your backup program how many old files to keep.

Make sure the user account running autosequences has delete privileges on the backup folder.

Try logging in as an administrator and run a backup.

That'll cover the easy ones. If you're still having a problem get the autosequence # and step #. Open the 3700d log (\micros\res\pos\etc\3700d.log) and search for the section showing the backup. There may be errors written in there. You can also check out the windows event logs. The backup is just a windows program, so if it hits any permission errors they may show up there.

pmegan,

It has taken me longer than it should've to get back to you, and to thank you. I really appreciate your having taken the time to give me some suggestions on where to look to resolve this problem!

AN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back