Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Micron NetFRAME 6201 Quad Prcessor System HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badenhop

Technical User
Oct 12, 2006
US
Hey guys! Just wanted to say hello to all in this forum!

The story so far....
I just obtained 3 NetFRAME 6201 Servers recently, and they are loaded (for back in the day) with the quad spec P2 512 meg etc etc units.

However, they were stripped of an O/S and I was wondering (because I do have access to many) which one would be best suited for THESE SERVERS based on what I want to use them for.

[They all have the same specs]
SERVER ONE - I wanted to use for being used as a FILE SERVER for MASS STORAGE as well as running smaller ended apps. This one of course has a tower filled with hard drives, a data silo.

SERVER TWO - Hosting older versions of FPS games for internet play, as well as hosting apps that can be accessed and RUN FROM THE SERVER itself...smaller apps.

SERVER THREE - Wanted to totally host web content SUCH AS: an HTTP or FTP server depending on what I feel. It'll prolly just be an FTP server, but in that if I do go HTTP, wondering how good it would be NOT COMPARED, but in proven performance.

In that, I plan on using Win 2000 PRO on these. Will this work? In articles Ive read it says that it should, however, THIS forums seems more current, and more of a potential place to find the right answers.

Let me know! AND IF THERES ANYTHING ELSE YOU NEED, feel free to let me know and I will do my best to dig up those specs, answers, etc for you.

but...bare in mind, that I dont know much about these yet as they're in my hands for only a few days now. :) CYA!

***The real intersting thing is that I want to actualyl USE the 4 processors in the one machine to do different thigns....that way its almost acting like a 1.8 Ghz machine technically. Any ideas on that would be cool as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back