Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MiCollab user accounts require email address

Status
Not open for further replies.

AH64Armament

Vendor
Sep 5, 2008
US
Most of our sites that has a MiCollab server, the MiCollab was gained during an upgrade from NuPoint stand-alone to MiCollab. These sites did not (and still don't) really use the MiCollab features.
However, since upgrading to 9.2, the darn thing requires an email address.

This is a significant problem because the site administrators refuse to use the MiCollab when building/changing users. Instead they use the PBX. The PBX then sends the update to the MiCollab which ignores it because there's no email address for that account.

Does anyone know how to turn off the mandatory email settings?

Have you tried using "dummy" email addresses, MiCollab doesn't really care as long as the format of the email is correct?
I usually just use "user@domain.local" for instance.

Also, I don't believe this email feature can be disabled.

Clever men learns what Wise men shares!

Bill the customer for the time to fix and explain why it was necessary.

Like Valamagules, I use fake emails but to keep them unique as Micollab requires I use userXXXX@noemail.com where XXXX = Extension

I usually use x{ext}@domain.invalid

Reason being below, .invalid is a real dummy domain that can't be registered. It's also obvious that it's a dummy domain to me. domain.local is also not risky as that is reserved from being registered as well.

I believe noemail.com actually have a valid MX record so if they have a catch-all they could receive emails. Potentially using MiCollab deployments to perform toll fraud. I know it's not likely but still possible. Looks like port 25 is not accepting requests so it's most likely not receiving emails anyway.

Code:
Non-authoritative answer:
noemail.com     MX preference = 0, mail exchanger = mx.noemail.com.cust.b.hostedemail.com

Maybe use noemail.invalid to be safer as you have no control over what happens with noemail.com

Just my 2c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back