Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MFIM - Dial Tone - SIP - VOIP Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

BN75

Technical User
Sep 21, 2016
AU
Hi All,

We have an MFIM 100 and are in the process of changing over from ISDN PRI to SIP Trunk / VoIP lines.
SIP Trunks are provisioned directly by the MFIM - no external VOIM is used.

When picking up a CO line or making an outbound call on the legacy ISDN lines the user will hear a classic dial tone `warble`.

However when pickup a SIP Trunk CO line all we hear is a flat `Beeeeeeeeeeeee` tone.

So far everything else is working as hoped ; but the flat tone is a little annoying.

Any suggestions on where I may be able to adjust the dial tone

Note: This is outbound dial tone, NOT inbound ring tone.

EDIT: Could this possibly be a firewall issue?
The calls are working, I currently have an outbound allow all rule from the MFIM to the VoIP Provider gateway and an inbound NAT / PortForward rule for inbound 5060 / 5061 traffic.

The inbound rule is locked down to provider IP address.

Thanks in advance
BN75

Hey BN75,

You will need to go to System Management -> Gain & Cadence Control -> System Tone Frequency(P421)
Assuming you are in Aus, scroll to the bottom and change Dummy Dial Tone Frequency to T1: 400, T2: 425. Then save and reboot the system. After the system reboots, you may need to go back into the System Tone Frequency program and just hit 'Save' again without doing anything else. No idea why, but sometimes it doesn't work first time.

Then go into System Attributes(160-161) and find 'Dummy Dial Tone' and set to USE. This will give you the warble tone back.

I'd probably remove the inbound NAT to 5060 / 5061 as it wont have anything to do with dial tone and is a big no no, generally speaking.

Hi theBteam.

Thanks a bunch that was it.

I changed your work flow slightly by adjusting the Dummy Tone and System Attributes(160-161) at the same time then executing a single reboot.

The warble came up as expected.

I had poked through the Gain & Cadence Control previously but couldn't make it work.
Two notes on that
1) I had not tried the Dummy Tone
2) Didn't perform a reboot.

Man these iPECS systems are like Windows 98 .....

.. Windows has detected you have moved your mouse - we need to reboot to update changes.

As for the Port forward.
It was locked down to a single IP at the Trunk providers end, if we get hosed via that, there are bigger issues in play.

With that said - it has been removed as not needed and one less port open.

Follow / Random quesions
The `reboot` command in the MFIM100 is via Initialization(450) --> Reset System correct???

Being self taught and a live system that scares me a little.

I normally `force a reboot` by making a change to certain settings that I know will make the system restart.

Thanks again!
BN75

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back