Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MFC71.DLL Crashes when loading PSP9

Status
Not open for further replies.

2twisty

Technical User
May 10, 2006
US
Regarding thread446-1030407

I just got done fighting a collosal battle against Paint Shop. I kept having it crash when I was loading PSP, it claimed that MFC71.DLL performed a GPF and had to close.

I tried all the suggestions I could find. Here's some history on the situation:

PSP used to run fine. Then, one day, it started crashing and I had no idea why. I uninstalled PSP9, and reinstalled.. no dice. This went on for about a month of me not being able to use PSP on my PC (annoying, to say the least)

So, I reloaded the OS... STILL no dice.

THE SOLUTION:

I deleted the following DLLs from the C:\Program Files\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro 9 folder:

MFC71.DLL
MSVCP71.DLL
MSVCR71.DLL

Before doing this, I verified that there were copies of these DLLs in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

I then launched PSP9...It worked!

Here's the weird thing: The DLLs in question appear to be identical...File sizes, Version Numbers, etc. The ONLY difference between the 2 files was the creation date. The one included in the PSP9 installation set was about 6 mnonths OLDER than the one in my Windows\System32 folder.

I looked for HOURS for a solution and found none, so I felt it was approprate to post to this forum, in case someone else has to deal with this connundrum.

SYSTEM DETAILS:

XP Pro SP2
EMachines M6810 Laptop (AMDx64 3200, 512MB, 60GB, CDRW/DVD)
.Net 2.0 Installed
ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 Video with drivers included on software restore CD

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back