Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

methods to mask passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech1774

Technical User
Jun 11, 2008
US
Hello everyone,

I am new to the IT field so I am not technical at all. I am looking at all options out there that will allow me to mask passwords for systems. I know that alot of it has to do with the code/language it's written it. I don't have a system that I'm currently working with so I don't have specifics. Asides from scripting changes, are there tools, other things out there to do this? I'm looking at all options. An example when I say mask passwords is that when a user types in a password, it isn't displayed in clear text.

Thanks much,
Amanda [bigears]

Thanks for your response, eyec. If I only have the option of masking the password, can you tell me what options I have to do this? Besides coding to mask it, are there tools out there, any other ways?

Thanks,
Amanda

depends, if its a HTML page then you can just do the following which will mask the password with asterisks

<input type="password" blahh blahh>

but the password will still be passed along the network in plain text unless you use SSL and you have to know how to code and this only covers web pages.

example code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back