Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metaframe PS30 Lockups, Latency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lack

IS-IT--Management
Jan 18, 2005
US
This ongoing problem has has got me at my wits end. We are running 35 users on a Metaframe PS3.0/ Server 2003 environment. Everything seemd fine until a few weeks ago. We are experiencing periodical lockups and slowdowns with various apps. We are running a dual XEON 3.0 with 4GB RAM. I have just aded the RAM, changed the Virtual memory, uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC drivers, ran a Spyware and Virus check, move the server to a different hub, etc. but still can not find the problem. We have various other workstations that are not on the Citrix server accessing the same apps and they seem fine. I did install the latest MFPS30 Hotfix last week as I noticed we were getting print jobs stuck in the spooler which would cause the lockups, etc. That seems to have gotten better but the lockups, slowness continues. Any ideas anyone? Any good free monitoring tools out there?

Is it all clients connecting to the citrix server or just some that are experiencni the slowness?

I have always foudn the citrix resouce manager to be mos tuseful in this situation, but it only really helps for an immediate view of whatever monitors you are watching.

Thank you for your reply. It is all clients at one point or another. I had added a HOTFIX to fix print spooler lockups in Metaframe, which fixed the problem of spooler lockups but might be causing the more frequent lockups. I have removed the Hotfix, and although the latency issues have been better, the print spooler problems are back. I have the print servers (Netgear/Parallel) on a Windows Server 2003. What is the best way on Metaframe to print to these? Is there a better practice for printing?

Not sure on a best practise for printing, however it may be a specific driver issue. THe best practise i would guess is use the citrix provided "universal printer driver" and provided that your Printers support PCL5 shouldnt have any issues.

Typically however I have another windows 2003 server with all the printers installed (basically the print server) of which i have used the Management console to import the printer server and its associated printers etc

Once the printers are setup in Citrix you can ensure individual printer are "published" to your particular AD groups, and then i typically block the connect any user printers from the local devices

It may be an issue where a specific user is connecting with a "locally attached printer" which isnt playing nice with citrix? Can you disable the "connect client printers at logon" as a next troubleshootig step?

hope this helps in some way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back