Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metaframe FR2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wekraibueh

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2001
DE
Hello,
I have to upgrade my Citrix-Servers to FR2. (FR1 not installed)
I have one farm, two servers, Metaframe XPa, Win2000 SP3,
no NFuse.

Do I have to upgrade the server with the Datastore first, or can I upgrade the other, test some days and then upgrade the one with the datastore.
Any experiences with that out there ?

Thank You

Werner Kraibuehler

What you have to do is to separate the servers if you want some testing done.

The licensing is the "problem" with FR:es.
First you need to Servicepack/FR the actual server, then you have to add the appropriate licenses to be able to utilize the FR.
As the licenses in MetaFrame XP belongs to the Farm and not a specific server you have to separate them.

To use the features of a FR you "patch" the connection licenses with FR-enabled licenses to be able to use the new features.

So, to just have FR one one server and the other not, is a matter of strategic administration in your end.

And, last but not least, if you Servicepack (on the same time install the FR) you have to set the FR level on the server to keep all your servers in the farm on the same level.
What determines the highest level of FR you can use is the patching of connection licenses with FR-connection licenses.

I would have installed the servicepacks, kept the old FR level, checked if everything is ok.
After that installed all the licenses for the FR and then switching the servers to the correct/wanted FR level.

Hope this helps,
Chris

If you have to upgrade only one, ensure you upgrade the DC..that is the one that needs to be the higher revision, always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back