Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Metaframe 1.8 on Term Server w/ SP5 - users printers do not autocreate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracerz

MIS
May 28, 1999
US
Last night I rolled out Metaframe 1.8 on Term Server w/ SP5. Today, none of our users are able to print from within their sessions. However, Domain Administrators are able to print from within their sessions.<br>
<br>
I have already tried the following fixes:<br>
<br>
* Granted RWX rights to Everyone for %systemroot%\system32\spool and subdirectories.<br>
* Assigned full control to Everyone for HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Print and subkeys.<br>
<br>
The real kicker is that this configuration was working just fine on a different server running Term Server SP4. Does anyone know a work around or fix? Citrix mentions changing the rights for a printer.inf file under %systemroot%\system32 but there doesn't seem to be one on the server.<br>
<br>
Note: I already checked the settings for Citrix Connection Configuration and User Manager for Domains. LPT port and Client printer mapping are both enabled.<br>
<br>
Any help would be greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>

I have a couple of questions for you and depending on the answer I may be able to provide some insight. I went through something similar just under a year ago.<br>
<br>
First...what kind of printers are they? Does NT have built in drivers for them?<br>
<br>
Second...When you said that it worked on a DIFFERENT server with SP4 where you responsible for that server from start to finish as far as configurations were concerned?<br>
<br>
NOTES: Citrix Metaframe 1.8 is designed to autocreate printers if and only if a driver exists within the NT environment. If a driver does not exist within the NT environment then the printers will not be seen at all. Trust me I know. The way to get printers to get autocreated if there is no driver within NT is to get the driver and install the printer on the Terminal Server locally and then delete. The drivers will get placed in the appropriate places. It is a real pain but it works. This was a solution from Citrix. <p> <br><a href=mailto: oneworld@goes.com> oneworld@goes.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

All the printers we use are HP most of them have print drivers installed locally the problem is with all printers. And yes the I handled all the configurations on the old server. Upon further troubleshooting last night we discovered that the problem only exists on microsoft access 97 with SP2. Microsoft word 97 works fine excel etc. We reinstalled office 97 with SP2 and data access pack and the problem still exists. if you know anything that may help I would greatly appreciate it.

I had a similar problem with an HP LaserJet 4000 and found that Citrix has a problem with that driver.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you are using a LaserJet 4000, the LaserJet 4 driver is recommended.

We have had a lot of problems with the clients being able to print.&nbsp;&nbsp;What we found out was that the name of the printer driver on the server has to be the same as the printer driver on the client.&nbsp;&nbsp;There is a file in C:\wtsrv\system32 called wtsuprn.inf.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can make a reference to the client printer driver name to use a printer driver you have installed on the server.&nbsp;&nbsp;The key is that the reference has to be spelled exactly the same as it is on the Client.<br>Example:<br>Actual Driver name on the client&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Driver on Server&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL 6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;HP LaserJet 4000<br>HP LaserJet 4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;HP LaserJet III<br>HP LaserJet 5si&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;HP LaserJet 4si<br>HP DeskJet 890c Series&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;HP DeskJet 820<br><br>This has cleared up our problems with our remote users also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back