Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

metadbs on slices to be used as filesystems

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenCunningham

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Hi folks. I was wondering whether anyone has any experience of creating state database replicas on slices which will be used for filesystems in Solaris 10. It's my understanding that this is possible, but I haven't quite been able to figure out the sequence of events to follow. If any does have a reliable guide, I'd be interested to see it. Many thanks.

Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks - make sure most are the former.

I haven't heard of such a thing... you mean it reserves some area of space in the filesystem for metadbs? Sounds unlikely to me, but I guess anything is possible! Is it specific to a certain filesystem type?

Annihilannic.

Thanks for that, I thought the same. This (last post on thread) seems to indicate it's a possibility, but perhaps only in opensolaris:

I'll give it a go when I'm back at work tomorrow and post back.

Well, all I can say is that it appears to work. I guess time will tell!

Interesting! So it appears that SVM has the smarts to recognise the metadb on the beginning of the slice and position the data further into it. I expect that means mounting the slice directly is no longer an option though (which may be a concern, say, for a root/boot disk that you might need to boot without SVM).

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back