Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

metadata storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjscanada

Programmer
Mar 25, 2009
CA
When a word file is created, NTFS allocates space to store that file in hard disk. Alongwith this wordfile, metadata is also created, how is this metadata stored ? Is it stored with the file ? If yes, then how come it does not get included in the file size ? File just includes the content size put in the file by the user. As this metadata is system created, if its not included in file size and is stored at a separate place in hard disk, how is it linked with the main file ?

Hi,
Never thought about this before - My guess is that metadata is stored with the file and is included in the file size. What I know to be stored in metadata includes original date of creation, author, editing dates, etc. I don't think these can change the file size very much, if at all.

HTH,

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

This is what I got from wikipedia

"Metadata can be stored either internally, in the same file as the data, or externally, in a separate file. Metadata that are embedded with content is called embedded metadata. A data repository typically stores the metadata detached from the data."

Default metadata storage, for metadata created with a word file, is it internal or external ?

If its internal and I want to make it external, how can I do that and vice versa ?

If its internal and I want to make it external, how can I do that and vice versa ?
I'd surmise that you might need the source code for MS Word, which Bill might be reluctant to share.

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

It definitely is embedded in MSOffice files. Remember that flap about removing personal data from files? There was even a stripper made to remove that stuff.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Metadata is a general term that covers many specifics. What particular metadata are you interested in, and what makes you think it is not included in the file size?

Enjoy,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.

I'm working (slowly) on my own website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back