Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

meta tags without effect??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosuc2000

Technical User
Jun 2, 2004
DE
Hello list,

in order to be found by some search-engine,I added some meta tags.

After I tried to search my site via google by typing in some keywords, I don't get the main-page.Instead I only get some pages (frames) from the hirarchy further down.

Before posting here I tried to find some answers here myself - without luck.

So I would like to ask if someone would take a look on my code-segment containing the meta-tags.
(Sorry for my poor English)

Warning. I'm a beginner ....

Here the code-segment:

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:eek:="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" xmlns="
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Language" content="de">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name="description" Inhalt="Wir kümmern uns um Retriever und Labradore aus Abgabefamilien und Vermerhrerbetriebe.
Zudem bieten wir bei Abwesenheit Hundepensionen an.Wir sind als gemeinnützig anerkannt.">
<meta name="keywords" content="retriever-care-europe Retriever Labbi Hilfe Tierschutz Abgabehund Abgabehunde
Zuchthund Zuchthunde Hundepension Pension Patenschaft Pflegestelle Patenschaften Pflegestellen Golden Retriever">
<meta name="robots" content="Index,follow">
<title>frame index</title>
</head>
.... rest of code ....

ANy help is much apreciated.

Regards,

Gosuc2000

Your description meta is using 'inhalt=' whereas the keywords meta uses 'content'

I'm not sure how an SE will respond to that or whether you need to use English attributes.

The Meta tags won't have much, if any, effect on ranking but the description may be used as a 'snippet' in the SERPS (not always though!)

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Yes, you're right!

The meta-keyword must be "content". Maybe I used my language here due to lack of concentration.
I've changed Inhalt to content.

So lets see what happens. I've registered my page with google and yahoo. Perhaps it may last a while until my page gets discovered.

Thanks a lot chris and foamcow !

It can take a while for a page to find its way onto the Search Engines, if you can get other already-listed pages to link to the new ones it can speed the process up. Still, you need to be patient.

The keywords <meta> is almost totally worthless from an SEO point of view. You may still find the useful if your site has its own internal search facility which could make use of them.

Description is a bit more important, as it's used in the search results if a suitable snippet of your page's content cannot be built. That said, this only really happens with queries like "site: mysite.com", and the only person likely to do a search like that on your site is you yourself.

Something you might consider adding is a machine-readable indication that your page is written in German. SEs seem to do a pretty good job of guessing which language stuff is in, but there's no harm in spelling it out. Ideally, do this:
Code:
<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns="[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"[/URL] [red]lang="de"[/red]>
Failing that, add a meta tag (you could do both):
Code:
<meta name="language" content="de" />
How you do either using AffrontPage I couldn't tell you.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back