Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

meta tags keywords and description 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
I've come across this site
They have a google Page Ranking of 7 according to their PR image.

I checked out their source and this is what they have for keyword and description meta tags
<meta name="description" content="PageRank 7 Directory - Get tagged! TagsPage allows you to buy the tag that best describes your website. This is the easiest way to get your site tagged" />
<meta name="keywords" content="PageRank,7,Directory,-,Get,tagged!,TagsPage,allows,you,to,buy,the,tag, that,best,describes,your,website.,This,is,the,easiest, way,to,get,your,site,tagged" />

so they have the description exactly repeated for the keywords but comma separate each word, why is this, how does this help, why would they want to be found under 'you' , 'that' , 'get', 'to' etc... this has no relevance to what this site is offering?

what's that all about and does this go to show another myth regarding meta tags -> they mean didley squat!

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Hi

The description is displayed by some search engines in the result page next to the link. ( Do not know any. )

The keywords are searched by some search engines if no matching page found. ( Yahoo! did it some time ago. )

What they done on that page with the keywords, is useless. Would be better if they put some misspelled form of a relevant word.

Feherke.

Their title tag sucks, their meta tags sucks , their code is invalid
Result: Failed validation, 5 errors
yet they rank high.

So I have to conclude the only thing google does to list sites is count how many other sites link to them.

That's not an algorithm that's a sum isn't it?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Hi

1DMF said:
Their title tag sucks, their meta tags sucks , their code is invalid
title sucks - I already saw advertisement in page title, so I would not count on it too much.
meta tags sucks - Not relevant.
code is invalid - Not relevant. Has to be valid only as to be readable by the bot. Those five errors does not break the parsing.
1DMF said:
So I have to conclude the only thing google does to list sites is count how many other sites link to them.
No, not the only, just the most important.

Yep, you tapped into the reality. As many dirty tricks the webmasters use, so many practices became obsolete. Sad. And depressing.

Feherke.

PageRank graphics mean squat. Google's internal pagerank is calculated differently from the publically viewable one.

What search term do they rank highly for?

Remember when we mentioned backlinks?

How many do they have?

Google (only shows a *some* backlinks) = 247
MSN = over 3000
Yahoo! = over 16,000

The figures vary because of the way the different SE's calculate backlinks.

Plus the link you gave them in this thread :p

<honk>*:O)</honk>
Designease Ltd. - polyprop folders, ring binders and creative presentation ideas
Earl & Thompson Marketing - Marketing Agency Services in Gloucestershire

how many links do you need before it counts?

I've posted my domains in this forum loads of times relating to my questions, my site still ranks ZERO!

The pages you posted links on are pretty low grade pages. An SE may even see that this is a forum site and take that into account.
Any site that allows visitors to post content should, in my opinion, carry less weight since it would be easy to spam thousands of pages and put links back to your page.
Ever heard of Blog Comment Spam? Do you think that Google might be trying to do something about how it could potentially be used to manipulate their results?

One thing I've noticed from your posts is that you seem to be worrying a bit much. SEO is a long term strategy. If the bosses want something quick then they won't get it with white hat SEO methods. Anything you do to try and manipulate the way a search engine ranks you will potentially cause you problems in the long term. You will need to look at other marketing methods - that cost money - to create a buzz around your company and your products. Once you have that buzz, people start visiting the site and will start linking to it. Once that happens then you will start to climb the SERPS. You can't force it to happen.

Just make the best site you can for your customers and wait.
There is no quick way to get to the top of the rankings unless you are a MASSIVE entitiy like the BBC, CNN etc or you can get links from alot of seriously major sites.

Build a decent site then put your efforts into offline marketing, link building and online advertising in the right places.

Designease Ltd. - polyprop folders, ring binders and creative presentation ideas

The pages you posted links on are pretty low grade pages
? so my site sucks, I got no hope then :-(

I'm caring about SEO because I know nothing about it and want to ensure I do it right first time, I'm not looking to get No.1 overnight, but want to ensure I cover all bases and try to understand what really matters.

From what I can tell all that matters to google is backlinks , which personally I think is wrong and is making me concider using a different search engine to google for my own searches.

Just because other people link to a site, doesn't mean it's any good or is what i'm looking for when i search.

I've actually found the more non-mainstream a site is, the better i like it and the more i've got out of it, which is probably why for a while now google has not been yielding the satisfactory results it once did for me when searching.

The only real thing I liked with google is the proper use of the + (plus sign) which none of the other search engines seemed to work well with.

like you say , SEO is not the be all and end all to getting hits to your site and I appreciate your advice.

Regards,

1DMF

I've posted my domains in this forum loads of times

The pages you posted links on are pretty low grade pages

Read it again.

You posted links to YOUR pages on THESE pages.
THESE pages are low grade so they don't carry much influence regarding link popularity to YOUR pages.

lol -> but you can read it the other way too.

either way, this is gonna take a long time! [afro]

sorry but it's my bad grammer, so yes I can.

on -> about , regarding , to do with.

not the physical location of the link (the page it was on) but the location the link was pointing to! (the link was ON about)

lol - colloquiums or bad english!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back