Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

meta tag disables the right click

Status
Not open for further replies.

spookie

Programmer
May 30, 2001
IN
Hi,

I was studying a code which has following tag in header
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
and the right click on that page was dsiabled. I wanted to enable it. After trying for some time i commented the above line and the right starts working. Can anyone explain what the above line does exactly and how wheather it disables the right click and how?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I never set a goal because u never know whats going to happen tommorow.

Hi

The only thing I can think to, is that the JavaScript file which disabled the right click contains some UTF-8 text. When you commented out the [tt]meta[/tt] tag the browser get confused about the encoding and the JavaScript interpreter failed to execute the code.

Or you could show us the page so we can end the superstitions and guesses...

Feherke.

Thanks for the input feherke.

That may be the case, but i will have to check on that. I can't post the entire code here as the file references (includes) many library files..

Hi

Usually the disabling code is not obfuscated because they think nobody will see it. So try to search all sources for "[tt]oncontextmenu[/tt]". Or more generically, you could search for "[tt]return false[/tt]" as one of them should be in the disabling code.

Feherke.

Thanks will try that out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back