Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meta names not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosee

IS-IT--Management
Dec 12, 2001
US
I have question about how to add Meta names to the web site. I have our agency's web pages created and published with all kinds of 'meta names'. But they are not working because when I do search from google.com, I don't see it comes to the list. Please check this site: and view the source from our home page.

Can any one help me out?
any suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

How long have these new meta tags been live for??

If your talking just days then its unlikely that you'll see any changes yet.

This is because search engines in general use "spiders" or "crawlers" at set intervals to update & expand their search capacity.

These "spiders" periodically go to each page in a site & follow each link - Cataloguing everything as they go.

This results in a full index listing of the web (at least the portion they've visited) & its contents.

You can use Meta tags to make ur web pages search enabled.The keywords included within <Meta Name=&quot;Keywords&quot; content=&quot;&quot;> must be appear with in the description attribute of <Meta name=&quot;Description&quot; Content=&quot;&quot;>, Try to include these keyeords in the text of web site, title of the web site and put these keywords in the &quot;alt&quot; attribute of images, if u can.

Look on my site under the &quot;My own programs&quot; section (near
the bottom in the menu). You'll find a nice free met-tag
generator there!

Good luck, BobbaFet

Everyone has a right to my opinion.
E-mail me at caswegkamp@hotmail.com

Hi,

I am assuming from your post that you have not actually submitted your site to any search engines but instead are just expecting it to appear.. If this is the case, do not rely on this..

Go to and add your site there.

Just because you have a site in no way means that you will automatically be added to all the search engines, this does not happen.

Some search engines may find your site, others may not. Submit your site to as may different search engines and directories that you possibly can.

If a search engine spiders one of the sites linking to you then your site may also be indexed. This also doesn't always happen.

On a lot of engines, the more sites that link to you, the higher placement you will have.

Some people say to avoid free for all link pages but in my personal experience, this does not harm your results. For one of my sites 90% of keywords I optimised the site for returns results within the top 2 on google, yahoo and also a few other major engines and no 1 on a lot of smaller engines.

Go through your pages and change the body text so that you are fitting in as many keywords as possible.

Most engines won't include your sites for months after you submit it or even after your site is spidered..

To start you off, I have a link in my sig to a search site that I built and I aim to include all sites in less than 48 hours, sometimes a few hours and it will be included..

Nothing like a good plug for your own site!! [wink]

Hope this helps Wullie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back