Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Meta keywords question

Status
Not open for further replies.

abovetopsecret

Programmer
Jan 16, 2008
GB
Ive got an ecommerce site and Im trying to add dynamic content to the meta tags.

Is this sort of thing in the keywords section not good:

buy Asthma Friendly Developmental Giraffe, order Asthma Friendly Developmental Giraffe, purchase Asthma Friendly Developmental Giraffe, purchase Asthma Friendly Developmental Giraffe online, Asthma Friendly Developmental Giraffe uk,

as in repeating the product but putting in front and behind it different words.

Thanks

Which meta tag are you putting that in?

Description, no. Don't do it like that.

Keywords, umm. Not sure what an Asthma Friendly Developmental Giraffe is. I probably wouldn't do it the way you have it there. If I assume that it's a toy giraffe that is an activity toy and is made to be safe for Asthma sufferers then perhaps I'd use something more like,

"Asthma Friendly Developmental Giraffe, asthma care, safe asthma toy, activity toy, Giraffe toy"

Either way, don't expect it to make much difference if you are after improved SERPS. Metas count for little and keyword metas virtually nothing. It doesn't hurt to do it properly.

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Hi,

What Im trying to do is make my meta tags, the title, description and all dynamic according to the content of that page. The code is below:

Code:
<%
dim meta
if meta = "yes" then
%>
<title>
Little Acorns Gifts &amp; Collectables - <%=description>
</title>
<meta name="description" content=" <%=descriptionLong%> ">
<meta name="keywords" content="buy <%=description%>, order <%=description%>, purchase <%=description%>, purchase <%=description%> online, <%=description%> uk, ">
<% else %>
<!--#include file="../Scripts/_INCmeta_.asp"-->
<% end if %>

And this is the page Ive picked on, so you can see the results.

The question I was asking was to do with the keywords part really, but would appreciate any comments really.

Having a meta KW like that, while not really a problem, could possibly raise a "red flag" for a closer inspection.

I prefer to have a separate table for keywords with just two columns for a word/phrase and an ID, then have a join table to pull a word ID set.

so wordtable is

id - integer (long)
word - varchar

the jointable

prodid - integer (long)
wordid - integer (long)

and use a query like;
Code:
SELECT word FROM jointable AS j JOIN wordtable AS w ON j.wordid = w.id WHERE j.prodid = " & prodid & ";"
to extract them

this way you don't have the same word/phrase repeated several times. Add in the product name and the "shop" name / URI etc.

Reversing the order of the title would be advisable as well. Put the product first and the branding at the back.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi Chris, thats a great way around it, that will be a nice little project to work on this week, with the other x projects that I need to work on too.

But thanks again

woo, asp! Fwiw I tend to do it differently, I just have a variable at the top of the page <?php $title="pink umbrella" ?>. Then I pull in <?php echo "$title" ?> for desc, keys, h1, alt, h2... etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back