Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messenging error

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobSheridan

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2002
GB
We use Brightstor v9 on our server with AIT3 tape drive.
When the server needs to use another media a message gets sent to my desktop PC. However, once I've changed the tape over, the messages keep on coming up, even after the job has completed!

I've tried restarting the messenger service on both the server that's running the job and my PC, and the messages still keep on coming up. I've also tried restarting most of the services that Brightstor uses - this is whilst no jobs are running - and still I get messages.

Can anyone suggest any changes? I would rather not deactivate the messages outright, but I do understand that this might be the only option.

Thanks.

In Windows 2000, services can be checked by right clicking on My Computer, selecting Manage, Services and Applications, and clicking on Services. The ARCserve services should be listed on the right. Double click on the service to bring up the service's properties, and go to the tab marked Log On. If the checkbox "Allow service to interact with desktop" is not checked, popup messages can not appear.
There in no way to limit the amount of popups sent to the screen from the OS. So if you job had been waiting for an hour then you would potentially have 60 popups waiting to be actioned.
This is controled by the Messenger Service and can't be modified.

Potentially setup the second media options to timeout after a certain time and also have "Retry Missed Targets" enable on the ARCserve Backup job's Schedule tab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back