Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcarpenter

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
GB
When I log on under any user, I see two instances of MSN Messenger in my sys tray. The "spare" one doesn't login but it won't dissapear untill I hover over it with mouse. Any ideas?

Sounds like Messenger is configured to start in two places, most likely All Users and within a user profile. You will have to look in the registry to find this. Search for loadqm.exe in run Run key of HKLM and HKCU, should probably only be in one of these places. Where, depends on the network configuration, meaning is it loaded with the profile, or loaded for all users per machine...

Regards,

Mike Tao is the mobius. The ribbon of heaven and earth, you cannot lose your way.

Will someone speak me through sorting this problem out??? I am a good PC user so only an overview of process is needed

Assuming that you do not want Messenger to load for every user on a PC.

Click Start
Click Run
Type regedit into the text box and hit the Enter key

Click the + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Click the + sign next to SOFTWARE
Click the + sign next to Microsoft
Click the + sign next to Windows
Click the + sign next to CurrentVersion
Click on Run
Find the Key named LoadQM and delete this key.

You must be an administrator to complete this task.

If you want all of the users on each PC to have Messenger, then to adjust that you simply change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to HKEY_CURRENT_USER and the path is the same. But this one could be enabled by a login script, so check your script.

Tao is the mobius. The ribbon of heaven and earth, you cannot lose your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back