Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messenger usage problem (+ solution)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSMJ

MIS
Nov 27, 2002
Hi
We've got an issue with people using MSN Messenger when they shouldn't be. I tried to password protect the program by giving restrictive permissions to the messenger exe on each system and removing the programs shortcut, replacing it with a shortcut to a script which executes a 'runas' command on the messenger exe. This prompts the user for a password as they don't have the permissions to run messenger anymore, requiring someone with the access to enter the password before messenger can be used.

Now heres the problem. If the user logs off the workstation without exiting messenger, when they log on next time, they get allowed stright back in again to messenger.

I tried to fix this with a logoff script that killed the messenger process tree, but I think it's executed after the roaming profile gets updated, as it did not fix the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back