Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messenger Service Weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzer

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
GB
I've built a new NT domain (both PDC and BDC are NT4 Server with SP6a and incidentally, clustered). For some reason, one of my users on our existing Novell 4.11 network (running NT4 Workstation with Sp6a and in a Workgroup only) is getting messenger service messages from the BDC regarding confirmation that replication has completed successfully. Now, why this non-administrative level user existing outside of this NT domain is receiving these messages is an absolute mystery. I have checked the properties of both PDC and BDC in Server Manager and specified Alerts to be sent to my username in that domain and no-one else. Can anyone offer any pointers? How exactly does the Messenger Service interact with NT Server administrative alerts? Microsoft's website and Technet products barely give a three line overview and that's it.

The Messenger service depends on mappings it finds in WINS. WINS keeps track of server services, workstation services, and MESSENGER services. The latter typically tracks by username, and it might be that WINS has a mapping of your username tied to that user's workstation's IP address. I'd check your WINS database, specifically looking for 1) your username, and 2) that workstation's IP address.

ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back