Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

messenger pop ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblalock

Technical User
Sep 12, 2002
US
my os is 2000 pro and i installed messenger. after getting annoying add pop ups i decided to uninstall it and did thru contral panel. today i got another pop up add. i thought this would not be possible. does anyone have any ideas.

Try this.
1* Find if the Messanger you installed left any folder even after unistall. If it did , get rid of it.
2* Open Internet Eplorer ->Tools-->Internet OPtions and in the General Tab find Delete Files->delete Offline Content..
this migh help you A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Check services and make sure Messinger is disabled. I recieved a pop up add at home on my W2K pro machine after setting up a wireless network. Disabling it stopped the problem. (Zone Alarm helps also) Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up."
Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936); English writer.

jblalock-

If these are the ad pop ups associated with the NET SEND method then you may want to try stopping the messenger service. This is different from instant messenging. In your administrative tools folder goto services and stop the messenger service. After stopping the service remember to change the startup type to manual or disabled or the service will start agin after a reboot. NET SEND uses this service and many people are using it for spam. Hope this helps. It got rid of all the ad pop ups I was getting (selling university diploma's was a common ad)

Shawn

oopss.well, if theya re not adds comming form the internet, the procedures are very different. You should follow the above suggestions then. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back