Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messaging VS Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete01

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2003
US
Howdy

I need to replace my Vmail Board (007MLM) bad ports.
I have Magic 3.0 V7.0 Proc CKE5

I have an option to replace it with Messaging R1.1

Trying to compare features, any benefit to go with Messaging over Mail. Present system, is ok could use another AA, and better group calling features.

So other than the pain of rebuilding system, im assuming i cant copy existing settings, would you reccomend stay with mail or go with messaging.

thanks..........pete

You can't copy things from 007 to Messaging. But messaging has some advantages.

Some are: With a PORT CARD, you can do a back up of some settings in the Messaging. And, if need be later, those can be restored. (NOT MESSAGES, but the Mailboxes and AA's)

I think it's easier to admin.

More Mboxes.

Better storage time.

It does not require Touch Tone Receivers.

Hmmm.....
merlinman

I have an empty slot.
Can i install the messageing board and configure the new mail system alonside the existing mail system, then turn off old mail.

thanks.....lazy pete

Yes, Certainly you can do that.

I would program it, but not the extensions as ROTARY Enabled until you get it all programmed, and move it over to the slot where the 007 is.

When I put it in the system (Messaging in spare slot) I would set up only one of it's extensions in a VMI group.

Once it's programmed, move the 007 out, slide the Messaging over and DO A BOARD RENUMBER and then set the VM extensions up for ROTARY ENABLE.

Then do away with the "DUMMY" group.

Thank you sir...guess I’ll get my letter to my users ready

Dear loyal users
Tomorrow im going to rebuild our voice mail, it will take about 10 min, I wont accidentally renumber or lose any phone extensions nor will I assign your voice mail to another users or visa versa. And of course you will not
Lose your phone service for any length of time while I do my magic.

...now where did i put my resume

Well new board up and running with dummy group.

Now im getting greedy, can i leave both mail systems in place. That will give me 7 AA and 10 vm ports......

thanks..............pete

Oops.....cant forward voice mail from Mail to messaging, doesnt see new extention on messaging.

So i may not be able to use both systems at once.

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back