Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messaging R7 disable *2 *8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russff

Technical User
Oct 9, 2010
US
Using ACS R8 with Messaging R7.
We have several phone lines and line 1 is an outgoing only line that we do not take calls on. I setup auto attendant #1 for this line (AA #2 is setup for the other lines) with a message that says "this is an outgoing only line please call our main number". I disabled the selector codes, but a caller can still push *2 or *8 and ring an extension if they just guess to try it. How can I disable *2 and *8 to keep a caller from getting out of AA #1? Line 1 is setup not to ring anywhere and transfers directly to AA #1. I setup the dial 0 option to disconnect them (although I saw another thread on how to loop dial 0 back to AA #1).

You can't disable *2 or *8, as they are internal codes.

Why bother to have the line answered at all?

Set the phones to No Ring, even restrict that line to Out Only on the extensions. Callers to that number would just hear Ring-No-Answer.

OR, put in an ASA/DXD card, use ASA to answer it, and set the ASA mode to disconnect.

We make most of our calls on this line and some people just user caller ID and dial back that same number. I don't want to just have it just ring forever or just disconnect because we are a business so we want to be sure that people know how to get in touch with us at our main number if they call us back on that outgoing line. It is setup not to ring anywhere, so that's all good and fine, it's just that some people hear the message to use our main number and instead of just hanging up and calling us back, they try to push 0 or *2 anyway. It's frustrating.

Then the ASA card will fill the bill. Set it to answer on the 1st ring, it will play the message "this is an outgoing only line please call our main number", and then disconnect.

or use a mailbox to do the same thing, assign the line 1 to extension 30 (or whatever you feel like) and set the vms cover rings to 1 then record the greeting that TTT suggested for ASA and have the mailbox set to not take and messages, done.
They still will be able to press *2 or *8 but in my opinion few people that use the voicemail know how to do that nevertheless people that just get the mailbox when they call in.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

You can also make the mailbox answer only.

....JIM....

The AA thing I am doing now works fine most of the time, it's just those annoying callers that don't feel like calling back on the other number so they start pushing buttons to get to an extension. If *2 and *8 are internal options, then it doesn't seem there is a way to prevent it.
I'll check out the ASA options, thanks for the suggestion.

You can contact your carrier and mask the number with the number you want to show up on Caller ID. So when people use their caller ID to call back, it rings in on the number you want them to call on.

Good suggestion about the caller ID masking, but I just called our phone service provider (Verizon) and they do not offer this option, all they can do is block the number completely so "Unavailable" shows up and that's not what I want. Seems only thieves can do ID masking.

Sounds like Verizon isn't offering the best solutions to business customers. AT&T used to do it all the time, offering to mask to a main published number or billing number. I haven't had to work through those issues in a long time with carriers.

Caller ID masking is the best solution in my opinion, but AT&T wouldn't do it for me, either. CenturyTel did, after explaining to them what I was talking about..lol

Since you don't use that line for incoming calls anyway, try forwarding that line to your main number via your telco's call forwarding feature. So when customers redial their caller ID, it will forward them to the main line before ever getting to your system. If you have a telco hunt group for incoming calls, make sure they give you enough Multipaths (simultaneous forwards) or some of your callers may get busy signal.

I thought about setting up call forwarding to do what you suggested, but I don't want people to be using that number to call us for the same reason you mentioned, if several people call that number, they will get a busy signal because of the hunt group setup. I figure the best option is to setup a separate AA to inform them of the correct number they should call. The only hassle is those few people who would rather not call back and start pushing buttons to try to get someone. And that's where my original question came from, to disable *2 & *8 so they can't get out of the AA. I already setup the dial 0 option to just loop them back into the AA.

Keeping them in the answer only VM via loop around is probably the best way to get the point across to them, but you might also put in the message that the number they called is not for inward calls, and they must call the correct number!

....JIM....

The message does mention that this is an outgoing only number and gives the correct number to call. As I mentioned, they can't get anywhere pressing 0, but they can get to an extension with *8 or *2, and there doesn't seem to be a way to prevent that.

Yes, I forgot about the ASA card. Here is another thought, can a system have both the Messaging module and the Voice Messaging PC card? We have the PC card left from the old system, and it doesn't have the transfer options, so if I could setup the PC card to handle that outgoing line and the messaging module to handle the normal lines, that might solve our problem.

No, but it can have Messaging and the ASA/DXD card. The Voice Messaging PC card also has the *8 transfer option, unless it is a Release 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back