Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Messages resent after reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bworley

MIS
Mar 26, 2002
US
I have an Exchange 5.5 server (SP4). We were experiencing a lot of messages being queued up (looked like from a workstation infected with a mass-mailing worm). It got to a point where Exch Admin. was locking up, so we tried stopping and starting the IMC service, but this hung while stopping, so we were forced to restart the server. When the server came back up, all services started fine, but for some reason a large number of email messages were resent...these were messages that had already been delivered. Why did this happen? Where were these messages being stored? and, is there something I should do differently to prevent this from happening again if we had to reboot the Exchange server? Thanks for any help.

This is actually a recovery feature of Exchange. It is by design. Because you did a forced shutdown, it was (rightly) considered by Exchange to be a server crash.

Under this scenario, the "better safe than sorry" plan went into effect and Exchange checked the log files, repaired the databases and resend any messages that it thought might not have been sent during the crash.

Would you rather that users potentially lose email, or get a message twice? (I'd vote for twice, myself)

Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back