Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

messages from AIX on windows pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

holdahl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2006
NO
Something strange happend this week.
A message from AIX about BAD SU suddenly was displayed on a windows pc.

--------------
error message:
--------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
Diagnostic

Critical message

Indicates an error preventing the connection from
functioning correctly.

Details:
April 25 09:12:29 Message forwarded from server1: su: BAD SU from user1 to root at /dev/pts/1
----------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if any services or applications on AIX could be the cause of this, or could it be an application on the windows pc could cause this?

-holdahl

Do you have any scheduled scripts on that PC that access server1?

I'm not sure, so I'll have to check.

-holdahl

My guess is, the system wanted to write something on the system console, but it is not available for some reason or another, so it sends the message to the first root login session it finds, in your case, a session on that PC.

(Not a good idea anyway to log in as root anyway)

HTH,

p5wizard

The computer where the message was displayed did not have any connections to the AIX server.

b.t.w our unix servers does not allow remote root login, have to SU to root.

The user on the computer where the message was displayed does not even have a unix-account....

-holdahl

Was the message only displayed on that PC or some other PCs as well? it could be that server 1 is broadcasting this message!?!

By the way, is there a user on server1 called user1? Check whats wrong with that user! did that message appear in the server1 error log?

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back